Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do this? Electric air compressor mounted in bed

Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to do this? Electric air compressor mounted in bed

I need a air compressor for my truck. I want something bigger that a plug in 12v but smaller than a gas one. So this is what I found and want to mount it to my bed under the toolbox but I need your advice and opinions. I know I would have to mount a power inverter and I was thinking of mounting it in the toolbox and drilling a hole in the bottom to run the wires. But I'm not to big into electrical stuff to know if this will work good or not. As far if the power supply will be efficient, what size inventor, or how exactly to go about running the mount set up I am clueless. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails How to do this? Electric air compressor mounted in bed-image.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

First off, get something made for in vehicle use...

http://www.viaircorp.com/oba-medium.html
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by azmidget91
First off, get something made for in vehicle use...

http://www.viaircorp.com/oba-medium.html

I have looked at those actually but I want something that if I need to I can unbolt from my bed to do trim work inside houses and to run a nail gun when I build. But at the same time want something that can stay in my truck for use on the farm changing tires and other. Just don't want to have to buy one for my truck and another for build work.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sometimes multitasking an air compressor is just not feasible. I have a 60G upright Quincy for work in the home garage, a smaller portable on wheels I can take to the back yard for lawn equipment and a cig lighter plug in portable for the truck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you will need a minimum 1440W inverter to power that compressor.

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-31-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The specs on the compressor you picked out from Lowes shows that you need @ least 12amp inverter probably a 15amp would give you a little
overhead.

Amps X Volts = watts so 15Amp x 120vac = 1800 watt inverter approx. $200-$300

Keep the cables between your inverter and batteries as short as possible. This will help your batteries perform their best and keep the inverter's signal clean. The cables that come with the inverter are "rated" or good for up to six ft. If you plan on going over six ft., drop down to a larger gauge cable

What is the difference between a modified sine and pure sine wave inverter?
Modified sine wave power inverters are more portable than pure sine wave power inverters, lighter, and lower in cost. If your device will handle voltage fluctuations, a modified sine wave inverter should be considered.Most devices that people typically wish to power will work fine with a modified sine wave inverter, as a precaution, please contact the manufacturer of your device to determine if it is compatible.

Pure sine wave power inverters motor's run cooler, last longer and provide very clean power like you would receive from a power company. Devices such as laser printers, digital clocks, and most medical equipment require a pure sine wave inverter to run correctly. As noted above, as a precaution, please contact the manufacturer of your device to determine if pure sine wave power is required.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM

So if I bought the whistler pro 2000W for $150 to go with the compressor this would be possible? Still cheaper than the vizier still and with more power or are yal just trying to tell me that this is a dumb idea?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by wat50
So if I bought the whistler pro 2000W for $150 to go with the compressor this would be possible? Still cheaper than the vizier still and with more power or are yal just trying to tell me that this is a dumb idea?

With the amount of power that inverter will use to power just the compressor you will most likely also have to invest in a dual battery set up and possibly a higher out put alternator if you can find one.

Yeah I'd say it's possible but not a good idea, not with all the options available, like I said multitasking an air compressor is just not feasible.

You could always get a gas powered portable generator to power it, that would be the best way to avoid overloading your trucks electrical system.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wat50

Need to check the specs of the inverter and see what it requires for input a quick Google shows that the whistler is looking for approx. 200amps input from your alternator. Not sure what your f150 is putting out. A rough guess would be approx. 150amp. Maybe someone has the f150 specs can post them
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Like I said I'm not good at this so I appreciate the help. Just need a compressor in my truck to fill up tires and capable of running an impact to change tires. But the issue is space. I don't want a gas powered and I want it to be able to fit under my tool box which is 12" high from the bed. Will the viair medium duty run an impact good? The reviews say it fills up very slowly.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM

If you are going to use a impact gum the small compressor will not be able to keep up with it. Go cordless impact if you have a big compressor at home use a air pig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to do this? Electric air compressor mounted in bed