Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to convince my dad to let me drive his pickup truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How to convince my dad to let me drive his pickup truck?

I need idea's on what to say please help me. I dont live with my dad and he has a total of 5 vehicles any advice will help.

Edit my dad does not hate me. We dont really talk much. So yeah... Btw I dont really know the year but it's like a 2001 2002 something like that.

Last edited by Rookie boy 911; 09-16-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Yellow Steel FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know your Dad, but for me it wouldn't be what my son says to me, it would be more about what he does. Actions speak louder than words sort of thing. If he shows me he is responsible and mature enough to drive my truck, then there is no special thing to say to me. All he has to do is out right ask to drive it.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of truck? I know it is an f150, but what year, model, engine, etc?

This is a big difference based on value of the car and its safety.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SFCHondo
I don't know your Dad, but for me it wouldn't be what my son says to me, it would be more about what he does. Actions speak louder than words sort of thing. If he shows me he is responsible and mature enough to drive my truck, then there is no special thing to say to me. All he has to do is out right ask to drive it.
x2 to this quote and well written. If you have in fact done something to make your father distrust you then take responsibility for what you have done and ask him what you can do to restore his trust in you.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start with something along the lines of "Hi Dad. I was wondering if I could borrow your truck tonight? I need it for XXX".

Be up front and tell him exactly why you need to use the truck, where you will be, planned rout, and when you should be back. If he lets you use it be sure to return it on time and with a full tank of gas.

Or start saving your pennies and buy your own truck. The fact that you need to "convince" him to allow you to use one of his vehicles leads me to believe you have somewhat less than a perfect tract reccord with responsibility.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
corey

i always said"come on dad, im your favorite son."
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember when I used to drive my dads truck and think how I'd respond if my oldest daughter asked to drive the truck. Of course she's not old enough yet (13), but soon will be.

Actions speak louder than words. My dad knew me and my brother (2.5yr older), he knew I was much more a car/truck guy than my brother, who was a video game freak. My brother was much better in school, but I was the more cautious and responsible driver with more common sense. He knew he could trust me with his truck to take care of it and treat it right, while he knew my brother didn't have a clue about cars and what many of the gauges said/meant.

My daughter, oh heck no she won't be driving until she matures. It's all about her, loves to lie and is in trouble almost day to day. I know I couldn't trust her with my truck, heck I can't trust her to watch her little brother & sister for a 1/2 hour. It's all about how they act, how mature they are and the responsibility they show. This my oldest daughter truly lacks, mostly due to her mothers smothering nature, the girl can do no wrong. Right now, my daughter would be lucky to drive the FreeCreditReport.com F-R-E-E little blue geo metro from the commerical.

So to my dad, and to me, it doesn't/wouldn't matter what you said, it's all in your actions and you showing me you are a mature, responsible person that will treat my truck and belongs with respect. And if you damaged it, took responsibility for your actions and work to pay off the cost of repairs.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM

"it wouldn't be what my son says to me, it would be more about what he does. Actions speak louder than words sort of thing. If he shows me he is responsible and mature enough to drive my truck, then there is no special thing to say to me. All he has to do is out right ask to drive it."...This is the real key to me. Both of my son's were mostly trustworthy at 16, so I gave them both an older but in great shape with ac etc to drive and "get it out of their system" before they got anything new. They turned out alright, had a small fender bender in each, nothing major so they learned and grew into more responsibility. You must grow and show him that you mean business and will do whatever it takes. Offer to cut his grass/weed eat etc...you never know what it might get you!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
corey

Originally Posted by gwstang
"it wouldn't be what my son says to me, it would be more about what he does. Actions speak louder than words sort of thing. If he shows me he is responsible and mature enough to drive my truck, then there is no special thing to say to me. All he has to do is out right ask to drive it."...This is the real key to me. Both of my son's were mostly trustworthy at 16, so I gave them both an older but in great shape with ac etc to drive and "get it out of their system" before they got anything new. They turned out alright, had a small fender bender in each, nothing major so they learned and grew into more responsibility. You must grow and show him that you mean business and will do whatever it takes. Offer to cut his grass/weed eat etc...you never know what it might get you!
what does weed eatin have to do with trust
Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 91351
what does weed eatin have to do with trust
He means, do a favor for your father, like mow the lawn or weed eat the weeds without asking or simply offer to do so. These actions show you are willing to work for what you want and don't take this for granite (sp?).

Quick Reply: How to convince my dad to let me drive his pickup truck?