General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change a fuel pump on a 2003 F-150

Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change a fuel pump on a 2003 F-150

Hello,
I am new to the forums. My truck is a 2003 F-150 with 34,000 miles on it. My check engine light came on yesterday and I took it to the dealership. They told me that my pump was only pushing 4 psi of fuel through it and it needed to be changed. My qestion is, wouldn't I notice this big drop in pressure with the perfomance of my truck? My truck starts fine, and runs perfect. My fuel consumption hasn't changed either. Long story short, I am a senior in college and dont have the $750 dollars to pay for them to do it. Does it need done right away and is it something that is easily done? I am not a mechanic, but have a good idea of how stuff works. I am studying mechanical engineering. What is the consequences of not changning it and it going completely out?
Thanks,
David

Last edited by davidtatum3189; 12-17-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtatum3189
Hello,
I am new to the forums. My truck is a 2003 F-150 with 34,000 miles on it. My check engine light came on yesterday and I took it to the dealership. They told me that my pump was only pushing 4 psi of fuel through it and it needed to be changed. My qestion is, wouldn't I notice this big drop in pressure with the perfomance of my truck? My truck starts fine, and runs perfect. My fuel consumption hasn't changed either. Long story short, I am a senior in college and dont have the $750 dollars to pay for them to do it. Does it need done right away and is it something that is easily done? I am not a mechanic, but have a good idea of how stuff works. I am studying mechanical engineering. What is the consequences of not changning it and it going completely out?
Thanks,
David
The pump might just be on it's way out. If you have a little engine know how and some ambition it can be done. I did one on my 85 f-150 and my sister's Rodeo. It can be a bit**, but if you can handle it it will save you $$$$. Get a Haynes of Chilton's and have at it.

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 12-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 PM

I would first replace the fuel filter. The way I normally replace the pump is pull the bed off. 6 bolts from the bottom 2 wire conecter behind the bumper and the filler neck screws and retainer clamp. what code did it set. must have been a lean code. I don't really think it would run on just 4psi. normal is around 38psi.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM

Default fuel pump change

I think I can help you David. I'm changing mine today on a 1999 f150, first I bought a new OEM pump from http://www.fordpartscenter.net for $197.00 plus $10.00 shipping. DONT drop the gas tank only by yourself, you need truck up on a lift and experience in doing it. Remove the 6 bed bolts and raise the bed up on 4x4 scrap lumber, drop off the rear bumber and spare tire, remove the three screws at the filler neck and it's clamp by the frame, the gas cap will pull off the bed easily to keep the tank capped off and you safe. Remove both rear tires and then you can by yourself slide the bed back about 18 inches. Now you can replace the pump easily and SAFELY. Check under the bed for a hose and a metal guard, they can hang you up. You have one wiring harness connector to separate for the tail lights behind the bumper also. I was 70 last Oct and it has taken me about 5 hours to get to the point of now unbolting the pump itself for replacement, I also have a lot of tools but I'm slow.

Good luck David
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Family Man

shouldn't be covered by the warrenty, there is a essimisions warrenty to 75k including the fuel pump...

i only know this cause my 2001 manual sayies it was covered tell 75k and mine went out at 78k...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change a fuel pump on a 2003 F-150