General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high voltage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high voltage

just bought an 04 fx4. plugged in my radar detector for a road trip and the detector acted funny and overheated within an hour. i checked the volage and it registered at 14.8V. does this truck have a voltage regulator? is it adjustable? or am i stuck needing a new alternator? my windows are also acting funny and with that voltage, i'm concerned about all the electronics on the car.
i'm not sure what else would cause such high voltage. my guess is that this truck is a typical system that should be operating right around 14V when running.
any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that doesn't sound right....I have no idea why that would happen, but I know what you are talking about, I fryed a cell phone that was on the car charger when I was revving up my truck when the exhaust was cut off at the y pipe.

I figured that it was just pushing the extra power somewhere.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to test your battery. I know this sounds stupid but hear me out. This is called a sulfation test. Get a battery charger that will charge at 20 amps. Have a multimeter attached to the battery. Turn on the charger @ 20 amps and read the multimeter. If it goes over 15.2 volts @ 20 amps withing in the first minute or two the battery is sulfated internally. 14.8 is not out of the realm of within charging specs but you might stop a problem before it leaves you on the side of the road. Good luck.

Quick Reply: high voltage