General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ready to throw my truck off a cliff

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ready to throw my truck off a cliff

Hi there. Im looking for help on this issue. We bought a 04 F150 5.4L triton. It has 143,000 miles. A day after we bought it we noticed it had a strange noise at start up. After much investagation we found out the timing chain guide had broke and was slapping around. We replaced all components. Timing chain,phasers,tentioners, and so on. Got it back together sound great for our cross Country drive. 2 weeks later the sound is back. Not as bad but its sounds similar. Im at a loss. We are taking it in to get an oil change today as it now due. But is that sound just normal? Is it possible that it broke again? I cant afford to fix it again. I have only had it a month. Help.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Did you use cheap off brand parts or motorcraft? And did you do cam phasers?
The following users liked this post:
shawnnamorrison (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 PM

I changer the phasers. And I got the other parts at auto zone. So not sure I paid around 600 bucks in parts
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM
all hail the blue oval

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These engines do have some noise in the timing chain system that is normal. I hear mine mostly at the drive thru as the noise bounces back off the side of the building.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Mine happens right at cold start last 2-5 seconds then is gone. It sounds the same as before I replaced all the timing stuff. But for it to fail in 2 weeks. Im really upset. This was all the money we had for a car then had to put money into it right away. And not a cheap fix at that. Now its making the same sound? Ijust am hoping that its a normal sound. Ive read that due to a hydraulic tentioner the chain seeps off and thats why you hear the knock at first but Idk if this is right.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Are you using the correct weight motor oil? Don't put thicker oil in thinking old school, these motors have very tight tolerances and thicker than what's recommended can cause engine noise and/or damage.

Also don't use any filter other than Motorcraft, it has the proper anti drain back feature that a lot of other filters do not.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 PM

Ok deff usinging correct oil but ill look and see which filter we had on it. We are chinging it today so ill make sure its motorcraft. Thanks. Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you change the solenoids out with the ford OEM solenoids? Those will cause a tick. Personally- from what I've heard, these will always have a slight tick, especially on start up.

Quick Reply: HELP ready to throw my truck off a cliff