Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Do I need Body Control Module (BCM)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Gary5579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Do I need Body Control Module (BCM)?

I have a 1997 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 which I bought brand new and have babied it and kept it waxed and clean inside and out. It has approximately 99,260 actual miles on it. Recently I noticed my wipers would not work, then I noticed my power windows wasn't working either. Then I noticed my inside 'dome' light didn't work. I live in WV in an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads in winter, so I got a Recall notice to replace my gas tank straps due to excessive corrosion underneath the truck. The truck exterior looks brand new, but the undercarriage is rotting out from under it, but thats another story.

Long story shorter, I took the truck the local dealership to have the gas tank straps replaced for the Recall, and while they had it I asked them to try to track down the problem with my wipers, power windows, etc. I had already checked the fuses and they were good, so the service manager tells me I need a new Body Control (Computer) Module, and the cost will be about $700 for the module, plus labor to 'reprogram' the new one.

So my question is: I am totally clueless, so can someone tell me, #1. Where is the BCM located? And #2: Is there more than one of them? And #3: Does this sound like a BCM problem? Is it safe to replace one of these with a used one? And how about 'reprogramming"? Is this necessary if you get one off another 97 F150? I cannot afford to pay $700 plus labor for the dealer to fix this, so I will probably try to tackle it myself, or maybe ask a mechanic friend of mine to help me with it. But I need some advice and maybe some step by step instructions from some of you Ford truck experts here. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance! Gary

Quick Reply: Help! Do I need Body Control Module (BCM)?