Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Growling front end

Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling front end

I am new to the site and require knowledge from you ford F 150 owners. I own a F 150 4X4 that has started a growling noise in the front end. I have had the truck into 2 dealers to try and repair this issue. The first dealer cleaned the brake assembly on both sides and the noise stopped for a couple of days and restarted again. Next time the dealer turned both rotors and said that it must be rust on the rotors causing the noise. The third time in the dealer cleaned both sides agin claiming salt was the problem. I then took the truck to another dealer who said that the noise could be the pads on the rotors causing the issue, so using my extended maintenance package that I bought when I purchased the truck the dealer replaced the pads and the rotors. The same noise happened 2 days later, returned to the dealer and they replaced the rotors because 1 of them had scuff mark on the outside and we replaced both callipers at the same time thinking that they may be hanging up. ! day later she noise, they then replaced the bearing and hub on the right front because they heard a slight tick from the bearing on the right front. Well after all this work the noise is still there, any help for this issue? I am at my wits end with all this running back and forth and the problem is still there. Thank you all for any help rendered.
P.S This is a 2013 with 30000 miles.

Last edited by Erie1; 03-08-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to include year
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Power steering will growl also, do you notice it when turning the wheel at all or only when braking?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM

No only when applying brakes and after leaving the completed stop for a short distance.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Thats really odd. Im sure its something simple. Just need the right person to post up and tell what it is.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 AM

I think the last dealer is shaking his head , as he told me to drive it for the weekend and then let them know. A person at work had a similar noise and it was a vacuum hose that was leaking , I will tell the dealer on Monday.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Good luck in getting it resolved
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Erie1
I am new to the site and require knowledge from you ford F 150 owners. I own a F 150 4X4 that has started a growling noise in the front end. I have had the truck into 2 dealers to try and repair this issue. The first dealer cleaned the brake assembly on both sides and the noise stopped for a couple of days and restarted again. Next time the dealer turned both rotors and said that it must be rust on the rotors causing the noise. The third time in the dealer cleaned both sides agin claiming salt was the problem. I then took the truck to another dealer who said that the noise could be the pads on the rotors causing the issue, so using my extended maintenance package that I bought when I purchased the truck the dealer replaced the pads and the rotors. The same noise happened 2 days later, returned to the dealer and they replaced the rotors because 1 of them had scuff mark on the outside and we replaced both callipers at the same time thinking that they may be hanging up. ! day later she noise, they then replaced the bearing and hub on the right front because they heard a slight tick from the bearing on the right front. Well after all this work the noise is still there, any help for this issue? I am at my wits end with all this running back and forth and the problem is still there. Thank you all for any help rendered.
Hi Erie1,

Did the noise persist through the weekend? Please send me a PM with your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and your preferred servicing dealer so I can send this up the chain to a customer service manager. Also, is your odometer reading 30,000 km? I just want to clarify and avoid confusion.

Let me know what the dealer says today!

Bianca
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Erie1
I am new to the site and require knowledge from you ford F 150 owners. I own a F 150 4X4 that has started a growling noise in the front end.
Hi Erie1,

Welcome to the forum! Please PM VIN, full name, telephone number, and dealer info; I will escalate the concern to your customer service manager.

Kwasi
Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Does the noise change if you put the truck in 4 Hi?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Yes the noise goes away when 4X4 is engaged before stopping. The dealer has asked me to confirm this , so that it will reduce his time doing this test. I trust this dealer as he has taken care of issues on other trucks I owned. He was not the selling dealer but will now start checking for Vacuum leaks this week when I return it to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Growling front end