General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins

New user and first time post. I have a problem with my 1984 302. The engine was put in a 1954 ford and was rebuilt. Ran great for about 500 miles and was parked for5 years.

I put in a new tank, fule line, filters, plugs, distributor, ignition control module, and battery. The truck would not fire and was shooting gas out of the carb. The distributor is not 180 out. I was told the distributor was off a tooth, I moved the spark plug wire one post back and the truck cranked. Ran great for 10 to 15 minutes and died. Will not crank, has fire, after an hour, will start again, 15 minutes and dies.

I am at a loss, any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

(EDIT: I'm assuming you put all that new stuff on - tank, fuel line, distributor, etc. - because the truck wouldn't start after sitting 5 years ... OR ... did you just randomly decide to change all that stuff before you even tried to fire it up after 5 years of sitting there, parked?)

Lemme get this straight ... the truck WAS running just fine ... then put away for 5 years ... then would not crank/fire at all ...

THEN ...

You changed the plug wire on the distributor and it fired up?

So, you're saying the truck WAS running just fine before, with the plug wire off by "1 tooth" ???

My thoughts ... and I'm NOT a mechanic ... but if the truck WAS running fine, and put away in running condition ... then it decides to NOT work after sitting 5 years ... then what I am looking for is a broken or worn-out part ... not a matter of something being in the wrong place (ie: distributor plug wire)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I'd be looking for wiring harness that's been gnawed on by rodents. Unless it was set up in a garage with cats and/or some type of pest control.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=Rnlcomp;4322779]I'd be looking for wiring harness that's been gnawed on by rodents. Unless it was set up in a garage with cats and/or some type of pest control.
.[/QUOTEChecked the harness no critters had at it, so now the entire electrical is new.

Last edited by pltnsgt06; 09-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=pltnsgt06;4322834]
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I'd be looking for wiring harness that's been gnawed on by rodents. Unless it was set up in a garage with cats and/or some type of pest control.
.[/QUOTEChecked the harness no critters had at it, so now the entire electrical is new.
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I changed the tank and fuel line because it had gas in it for all that time and it turned to jelly. The battery because it was gone, then I tried to crank it, no fire at the plug but fire from the control module. So then I changed the distributor (electronic points) and plugs (why not). I could not retard the timing far enough to get it to fire. Assumed I jumped a tooth and moved all the plugs by one slot and it cranked right up. Ran for 15 minutes and died, changed the control module thinking it might be the problem, cranked and died after 15 minutes, changed coil, ran 15 minutes and died. Checked the harness no critters had at it, so now the entire electrical is new.

Quick Reply: Gremlins