General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Upgrade

Last summer I paid almost $400 to upgrade the GPS in my two 2010 Ford vehicles. One was a 2010 F150 and the other an Ford Escape Hybirid

The problem is the upgrade has less POI's than the 2010 version. I was looking for furniture stores in Gulfport Ms. There are no furniture stores listed for Gulfport. The closest is 80 miles away. The street I was on had no less than 8 furniture stores.

I travel between St Louis, Mo and the MS gulf coast no less than 4 times per year. Anyway the upgraded version takes my a different route and often times it tells me to take a wrong turn. the original version never routed me wrong.

I wanted the upgrade because they had so many places still listed that were wiped out by Katrina in 2004. That was the 2010 version and they still have them on the 2014 version and they are not there.

I feel i was ripped off by Ford for selling me an upgrade that gives me less than the original version.

I hate to knock ford but I paid $2200 for the gps in 2010 and they only cost $750 now. However my useless upgrade cost me $200 for each vechicle
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel your pain, but with today's smartphones, why are you upgrading your gps for poi's.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hate using my phone for any reason while driving. There are to darn many people that do and are all over the road. I am a very safe driver and always drive defensively. It was a waste of good money but safer than using a phone
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

If ya get suckered into the egregiously overpriced GPS scam, you regret it.
I buy new Garmins with lifetime map updates for my vehicles since 2004??

$150 per unit these days
.....not gettin ripped off with BS update fees from manufacturers

I purposely avoided that Sony system for many reasons
Old 07-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a Garmin Zumo 590L (waterproof) that I use on the motorcycle and in the truck. It has lifetime map updates and allows for preparing routes on the laptop and uploading to the GPS. There is no advantage to keep buying map updates for one permanently mounted in the vehicle. Since the maps and routing in Google Maps on the phone is better than the Garmin, I also mount that to the windshield with a magnetic holder for hands-off viewing. Instead of buying map updates for your Ford GPS, for $200 you could buy a very nice non-waterproof GPS with lifetime map updates for the times when no cell phone service is available. For the phone, just tell it what you want, hang it on the windshield and let it go.

Quick Reply: GPS Upgrade