General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good snow tires?

Hey everybody, I'm having a dilemma. In Canada we have some pretty harsh winters and I need better tires than the stock Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. If any of you have them, you know what I mean in the winter.

I'm looking at either getting rid of the Pirelli's and buying an aggressive set of AT tires (Trail Grapplers or Duratracs) or else keeping the Pirelli's (they're good enough for me in the summer) and getting a set of rims and winter tires.

If anyone has the Blizzak DM-V1's for their F150, how good are they in deep snow? If anyone has the Trail Grapplers or Duratracs, how BAD are they in the winter in general?

Your help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BHoladay
Hey everybody, I'm having a dilemma. In Canada we have some pretty harsh winters and I need better tires than the stock Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. If any of you have them, you know what I mean in the winter.

I'm looking at either getting rid of the Pirelli's and buying an aggressive set of AT tires (Trail Grapplers or Duratracs) or else keeping the Pirelli's (they're good enough for me in the summer) and getting a set of rims and winter tires.

If anyone has the Blizzak DM-V1's for their F150, how good are they in deep snow? If anyone has the Trail Grapplers or Duratracs, how BAD are they in the winter in general?

Your help would be appreciated! Thanks!
BFG AT's.... And dont look back!

Theyre a bit more money, but with a thick sidewall and a tread Thats standard on a hummer AND on the raptor... You should see that other people believe in this.

Ive also had this tread on all my trucks for 12 years, and Im going to install a set on them as soon as i wear out my stocks.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. Ive looked at them too and I know we use them up north on all our work trucks as well. What kind of tread life do you get out of them and how do they fair in winter and in the mud? Do they pick up rocks pretty bad as well?

Thanks again for the info!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I got 295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs and their alright in snow but they ain't no snow tire, so i use those a my summer tires. For the winter I got Toyo GSI-5 snow tires they are 285/70/17 and for being so wide you can drive in slush and it won't suck you in.

The snow tires have lot more sipes than AT, while the duratracs have 2 per tread, the toyo gsi5 has 5 sipes per tread.
Name:  385001_270760082974186_1350422546_n.jpg
Views: 14249
Size:  46.0 KB

Mine are sitting on raptor rims.
Name:  376209_270749076308620_1994330628_n.jpg
Views: 12691
Size:  34.3 KB
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Default bfg

Thanks a lot for the info. Ive looked at them too and I know we use them up north on all our work trucks as well. What kind of tread life do you get out of them and how do they fair in winter and in the mud? Do they pick up rocks pretty bad as well?

Thanks again for the info!

sand... air em down a bit.

gravel... i dug 3 inch deep ruts in a gravel road once when i punched it from a dead stop.

snow... it dropped my truck to the pavement and when i was on the highway, i maintained a 75mph in 4 inches of fresh powder in my old 2002 crewcab dakota. when i got the 2010 screw, it came with stock michelins, they survived 50000kms of central alberta winters.

i've lived in fort nelson, fort st john, grand prairie, kamloops, and now drayton valley... needless to say i've had BFG AT's in every town other than drayton valley.

so from -45C to +42C.... bfg's have gotten me through it.

best way to explain it further... check some of my past posts regarding this tread.

peace
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

recommend those Toyo's as excellent winter tires for our trucks also - however I'm not sure where you're from in Canada. Unless you're in a snow belt region I would honestly recommend A/T tires all year round. I've been a 4x2 guy most of my life and agree that factory tires are terrible in the snow, but have always replaced with A/T tires and never looked back in the winter.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 AM

This is perfect info guys. I appreciate it. I live in Saskatchewan so the winters can get to be a bit much at times. I really don't want to go with a set of exclusive winter tires because these pirellis are pretty bad. After checking out a bunch of reviews I think I have to agree with most of you and go with the BFG AT. Thanks again all.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

This is perfect info guys. I appreciate it. I live in Saskatchewan so the winters can get to be a bit much at times. I really don't want to go with a set of exclusive winter tires because these pirellis are pretty bad. After checking out a bunch of reviews I think I have to agree with most of you and go with the BFG AT. Thanks again all.
I'm not sure where you are in Saskatchewan, but I was in Estevan at the beginning of May and the ATs would be really useful in the mud! I don't think it will ever dry out there!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Trail Grapplers are great snow tires! Have used them in up to 14"s of snow, and they do wonderful. If you what pictures then just say the word.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

My scorpions were on for 1300ish miles before I took mine off too. Live in MN. Shouldn't need 4wd in 2.5 inches of snow.... LOL.

I don't know who at perilli is doing what to who at ford, but those scorpions are the most awful tires I have ever had.

Quick Reply: Good snow tires?