General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump question

I have a 96 F150 4x4 5.0 engine, auto trans. This truck has been setting a few years and i decided to put it back on the road. After putting a new battery in i tried to start it, the fuel pump was not running, i check the fuses and relays and they are ok. So i bought a new fuel filter and new pump, now i can hear the pump running but there is no fuel pressure, i disconnect the filter and no sign of fuel. yes i put fuel in it,lol Oh, i have a single tank, rear, what have i over looked? Any idea on what to check? thanks for any help.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by popajim
I have a 96 F150 4x4 5.0 engine, auto trans. This truck has been setting a few years and i decided to put it back on the road. After putting a new battery in i tried to start it, the fuel pump was not running, i check the fuses and relays and they are ok. So i bought a new fuel filter and new pump, now i can hear the pump running but there is no fuel pressure, i disconnect the filter and no sign of fuel. yes i put fuel in it,lol Oh, i have a single tank, rear, what have i over looked? Any idea on what to check? thanks for any help.
Just because the pump is new don't mean it's any good. I went thru 3 fuel pumps (after market) just to get one that lasted a week on a friends truck.

Put in a Ford pump and fixed it.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have put a ford pump in, i remember years ago i put 4 aftermarket pumps in a Ranger, finally went to the junk yard and got a tank with the pump and it was running when i sold it a few years later. I was just wondering if there was something i had missed. I am hitting 70 and these newer vech are not my bag
Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

[MENTION=173852]popajim[/MENTION], welcome to the forum. I agree with my friend [MENTION=134559]Rnlcomp[/MENTION]. I'm 60, and these new vehicles have me stumped when it comes to problems. I figure if I open the hood, and the engine is covered with a piece of plastic I don't need to be messing with it. Good luck.

BTW, Rnlcomp is a Technician (what we called a Mechanic in the day).
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanted33
BTW, Rnlcomp is a Technician (what we called a Mechanic in the day).

Started out as a mechanic and progressed up the food chain to become a technician. It becomes very apparent why when you need a laptop computer and a vehicle communication module to work on them as well as thousands of hours of training all above and beyond knowing which direction to turn a wrench.

This is the current system Ford uses, and yes I have one, don't like no one messing with my electronics, some say over kill but I call it peace of mind, some people spend thousands on accessories, I spent it on a way to diag my own vehicles when required.

https://rotunda.service-solutions.co...0&catID=276329

Last edited by RLXXI; 02-10-2014 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (02-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump question