General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration shopping for new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Frustration shopping for new truck

I have started looking at new trucks due to rust issues I am having with my 1996... see thread https://www.f150forum.com/f10/1996-xlt-damp-location-11145/

Everyone is saying "What a great time it must be to be looking for a new truck! The dealers are hungry" Right!

My first problem is that I want a traditional regular cab - long bed! There hasn't been even one 'XLT 4x4 - reg cab - long bed' on my local dealer's lot in years. For some reason, long beds have just disappeared from the lots as the beds get tinier and tinier and the supercabs get bigger and bigger. I have always found the long bed worthwhile for hauling construction materials and the lumber yards always seem to still have their parking lots full of them, so the guys are getting them from somewhere. So, that's what I want. A fully-loaded longbed. Used to be common. You could get a Lariat in a longbed back in '96 when I bought my current one.

My local dealer didn't have anything even close, and when I asked them to look elsewhere for my requirements - they say I am pretty much "on the hook" to them if they bring one in from Jabip. Plus, they seem to want to just deduct the 'Ford $3500 incentive for last year's stock' and '$1000 credit gimick' from the sticker price and that's the end of the negotiations. At about $32K list price, that's about 15% off. Is that hungry? (looking for opinions)

My theory is to go directly to a dealer who has what I want made up if I want a deal. Easier said than done.

I've tried FordDirect.com and they only search a 15 mi. radius from whatever zip code you put in, so I have a webpage of ever expanding zip codes for my 100 mi. radius in one window and I am manually entering various zip codes into FordDirect in another window to see what matches come up. I also happen to live right on the PA-NJ border and the FordDirect search says "you must enter a zip code from your own state" if I try and enter a NJ, NY, or DE zip code. What's it to them what state I buy my truck from? (I have also looked at Tundras for comparison and Toyota doesn't care what state you are in). Is this some secret deal Ford has with it's in-state dealers? I found that if I deleted cookies, they lost track of what state I am in.

My area is greater Phila-NYC (which you think would be teaming with dealers in multiple states) and I am lucky to find even one or two long beds at all - but they are some odd color (mostly white) or not 4x4 or some other problem. It seems that the lots are just filled with left overs from last year which they are trying to get rid of, but nothing I want.

I found ONE 2008 match in central PA - its a very long drive with a fairly unreceptive dealer on the phone. Think I am better off just waiting for 2009's to come out and order it? What kind of deal would I expect to get then?

I only do this about every 10-15 years..
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

1st off....you will have a hard time finding the 08 model you want. All of the dealers here in Vegas and and the few in outlying areas I spoke with when I got mine said not to expect more 08 trucks before the 09's get here.

2nd..I got my truck for about 28 and change add on tax ESP/EXT warranty and it was 32 out door I believe. It was approximately 11k off sticker. This was in June. I would assume the deals for 08's are only getting better but like above the choices are slimming. Hope that helps.

There are a few guys on here that work at some Ford lote...perhaps they will have better up to date info for ya
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think dealers are hungry to sell what's on there lot. If you start asking them to bring something specific in from another dealer, I think there position gets better and you deal gets weaker. If you wait and special order something, I don't think you'll get much of a deal at all.

Try doing to the ford website and using the build a truck tool. www.ford.com When you are done it will offer to search local dealer inventory for you. I haven't done ti in awhile but I think you can specify by zip and distance for your search.

On another note I'm surprised you don't have more dealers close to you where you live. I live 20 minutes from Grand Rapids, MI (a town of 500,000 so pretty small as cities go) and I can think of 6 dealerships within a 30 minute drive. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it's cause I'm in MI.

Anyway good luck with your search.

John

Quick Reply: Frustration shopping for new truck