General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford's EPAS system,,??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford's EPAS system,,??

Hello,,,I'm a newby to this site and I am looking for some info to possibly complete a project I'm working on.
I am in the process of restoring an old tractor ( Allis Chalmers) that has power steering but is a shade less than good. Parts availability for repairs is even less.
I have read some where Ford installed Electric power steering assist on some of the F150s about the 2011 models. Are theses units still being used or was it a passing fancy..? I also read where they had LOTS of issues with the earlier units.
There are lots of EPAS units available in salvage yards for the smaller cars but I don't think they would have the oomph to work on a small tractor.
Any help on this one,,?? Thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 11:06 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I believe all of Ford's vehicles now are electric
Old 06-23-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I'll take a stab at this. The Ford EPAS may work as it is self contained but it communicates with the truck via a data bus. It uses information like vehicle speed. If the bus is not present, I don't know if it will work at all. If you decide to try, my front axle GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is 4,050 lb. If your tractor axle is substantially less than that, you may be fine. Keep in mind that a tractor has a much higher steering force requirement per pound of axle weight due to all off-road. Also since it is electric, Ford fuses the circuit with a 150A fuse. Si you'll need a lot of generator/alternator power.

An alternative may be an aftermarket off road steering system. Here is a company that makes pumps and boxes:
http://www.agrperformance.com/off-ro...erformance.htm

Here is another website:
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...its-components
Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 AM

Hey Feathermerchant,,thanks for the quick response. I have no clue what the GAWR would be for the tractor,,but figure it will be high due to the problem coming in when you have a load of dirt or gravel in the bucket,,,!! I can weigh the front axle with a scale and maybe calculate the approx. weight of a load of dirt,,as that seems to be a deciding factor on what plan to procede with.
Thanks for the links,,I was really leaning to use the electric units as an assist to the existing hydraulic system currently on the tractor. I studied several videos on YouTube but have NOT seen any of the heavier duty units such as in the Ford Trks installed on heavier equipment. Most of the videos are using the light duty GM or foreign car units. There is supposedly a Guy on Ebay marketing a wiring set-up that allows the EPAS systems to operate without a computer.
I'm thinking as a Stand-Alone system,,,the EPAS might be marginal but used as an additional means of "power steering assist" might work,,????
OOOPS,,,forgot to add,,,I have added a 100 amp alternator to the tractor some time back

Last edited by ilike55s; 06-24-2016 at 06:25 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-24-2016, 10:47 AM

You will probably need all that alt can do. Tractors do a lot of steering when maneuvering loads. Be sure that the alt pulley is sized correctly for full output. Tractor engines usually turn low RPMs. If the alt pulley is too large you'll never get the 100A you paid for.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Hey FeatherMercant,,,that's a great point as I may have shot myself in the foot, when I replaced the 2 1/2" serpentine one, and installed a 2 1/4" V belt pulley, I'm going ahead and see about getting a smaller V belt pulley to speed it up in anticipation of the EPAS system,,,,???
Thanks for your input and help.

Last edited by ilike55s; 06-27-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:41 PM

Check the Alt Mfr to see the max RPM for the Alt and calculate what you need for a pulley based on the tractor max RPM. You don't want it too slow and you don't want to blow it up either.
I read this (from 2002) "An alternator has a normal range of operation. Most alternators need to spin at about 2,400 rpm at idle, have their maximum output above 6,000 rpm, and should never exceed 18,000 rpm." So if the tractor turns 2100 rpm max, then you need a 3 to one pulley diameter ratio to get max power out of it.
Using a voltmeter you can tell if the alternator is keeping up with the electrical demand.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by ilike55s
I have read some where Ford installed Electric power steering assist on some of the F150s about the 2011 models. Are theses units still being used or was it a passing fancy..?
My 13 F150 and my wife's 14 Escape have it.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 PM

I'll bet that going forward, more and more cars/trucps will have EPAS. Probably Electrically Assisted Brakes too. Uses less gas, requires no vacuum (Turbo/supercharged/diesel) and facilitates autonomous driving.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:06 AM

I've got a couple of feelers out for an EPAS system off a F350,,see if that will do the job,,,

Quick Reply: Ford's EPAS system,,??