Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford no longer offering manual trans on super duty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ford no longer offering manual trans on super duty?

I saw this on another site, and I was wondering why would they even consider this? I am already dissapointed they took it from the f150.

Down towards the bottom of the article

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/05...re-grille.html
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sad but true, manual transmissions are a thing of the past, from what i heard, they are designing a state of the art torq shift trans. most people don't even know how to drive a manual transmission.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 PM
good ol Arizona boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya I love manuals, I drive one, I am disapointed that they dropped it
Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

While disappointing, not surprising. Manual tranny's in trucks just aren't gonna happen anymore. While it's only a base XL, I'm glad I got one of the last F-150s to have a manual transmission.

Sadly, I think Atom is right to an extent. I think manual transmissions will stick around in lower end vehicles and sports cars, but otherwise, we've already seen most upper end sedans ditch the manual transmission. Well, here in the states anyway, because we Americans are lazy and most will pay a premium for "convenience," where as in many other countries, the majority of vehicles have a manual transmission.

I'll go out of my way to keep in a manual, but the choices are dwindling. Still plenty to be found, but it can be difficult at times.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

it really bumming me out because I want to buy another Ford when the time comes so I was thinking I'd get a new f-250 with manual transmission but if this is true I will either have to buy a used 2008 or get a competitor's truck as I've driven manual transmission my whole life and don't want to switch
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why so disappointing? Automatics usually last longer and the new auto transmissions in sports cars can switch faster than a human using a manual. Maybe I just don't get it because I drive an automatic.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kooly1
Why so disappointing? Automatics usually last longer and the new auto transmissions in sports cars can switch faster than a human using a manual. Maybe I just don't get it because I drive an automatic.
Partly it's a macho thing.

However a Manual in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is virtually bulletproof, while a person has limited control in some circumstances with a auto.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For me, driving a manual is a HELL of a lot more enjoyable than driving a manual. Additionally, as rollingthunder already said, a manual transmission that is used properly by someone who knows how to properly drive a manual will almost always last the entire life of the vehicle with nothing more than maybe a couple of fluid changes. Manual transmissions rarely have problems that were not user inflicted, where as automatics regularly give out under normal use and require much more maintenance to keep them in good running condition. Sure, you may have to change the clutch a few times, but that shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks, and most people can get at least 100,000 miles out of a clutch, often 150k+ (ie, proper driving).

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
Partly it's a macho thing.
Perhaps, but until recently (and still in some cases), vehicles with a manual transmission cost less, got better gas mileage than, and performed superior to their automatic equipped counter parts. While I agree that automatics have significantly closed the gap in efficiency (often due to different gearing) and performance, any vehicle with the option for a manual still costs more for the automatic. If all things are equal, I'll continue to try to own manual vehicles solely for the reason I stated at the beginning, enjoyment.

Last edited by nagata; 08-30-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
corey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kooly youve never seen me drive. ill make an automatic look slow. and there is no way in hell a auto can last longer than an manual.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91351
kooly youve never seen me drive. ill make an automatic look slow. and there is no way in hell a auto can last longer than an manual.
Which Automatic? Because the new Nissan GT-R has an automatic transmission. lol

Quick Reply: ford no longer offering manual trans on super duty?