Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Has Worst Day in 5 Years As Earnings Miss

Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Default Ford Has Worst Day in 5 Years As Earnings Miss

You know, the ONLY reason I bought my truck was because of the very deep incentives, and I turned to my wife and said, "I bet this is going to really hurt their bottom line and EPS when they report the next qtr". I had no idea how bad it was. Because of slower F-150 sales last ear ford, well just read the article and any links or news it may also provide. Their incentive program is the highest in the industry, which directly effects EPS. Ford 20%, GM 1.9%........ To make this worse, Ford has now guided down the EPS for the rest of the entire year, which will have an material effect on the stock price. I am now short in (F) until a bottom is formed. Kinda a sad day with all the other things going on with Ford.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/28/ford-...-earnings.html
Old 07-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Bug

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep just finished listening to CNBC folks talking about this. On the bright side - if you have a good late model truck you want to sell/trade in, now seems like the time to do it, everyone quoting big used truck demand...

If Ford gets into a bigger incentive war in the near term to capture more F series sales, guess what will happen to finished product QC...not pretty.

If/when oil gets back in the $60+ range, and truck sales slide a bit, also not pretty regards F stock price.

Like my auto background cousin has always said - Ford makes trucks for profit and cars for practice. Margins on Focus, Fusions are pretty slim...
Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Agreed! Wonder if this or next year becomes the year that GM takes over that #1 spot, if even for a short period. I hate that Ford seems to appear to be resting on yester year's sales. Prior performance is NOT an indication of future security. Man, 20% is really high.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Bug

Yep they need to think really really hard just exactly how much that little box on their window sticks is really worth sales-wise these days - the one that says "39 Years Ford F-Series America's Best Selling Truck". Who cares if Chevy/GMC sales inch higher than Ford? Focus on tech and QA/QC, many get a lot fewer negative comments on forums like these..........

In the short term, I'm actually thinking of buying the dip. New EB engine in 2017, new 2017 Super Duties, etc. When the Ranger makes its comeback (2018?) the timing may be good especially if oil goes up.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:25 PM

Be careful buying on the dip without confirmation...Remember they just took down the rest of the year. I guess the trend lines would greatly assist here. The 200 and 50 DMA can confirm this on a daily/weekly chart
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Bug

Yeah that's why I said "thinking" about, not "gonna". Last time I bought an auto company was GM in ~2007. My flawed thinking was "gee, GM is so cheap compared to the tech companies, GM has hard plant assets that added up individually are worth more than their stock value, what could go wrong?" Hello Liquidation Motors!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Lmao!!! I hear you.
Originally Posted by Probity
Yeah that's why I said "thinking" about, not "gonna". Last time I bought an auto company was GM in ~2007. My flawed thinking was "gee, GM is so cheap compared to the tech companies, GM has hard plant assets that added up individually are worth more than their stock value, what could go wrong?" Hello Liquidation Motors!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So my take away from this is if you want to trade in your late model F-150, now is the time? And, also the incentives are going to be slowed down for the rest of the year?

Or did I miss the point completely?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTN GHOST RIDER
So my take away from this is if you want to trade in your late model F-150, now is the time? And, also the incentives are going to be slowed down for the rest of the year?

Or did I miss the point completely?
I'm with this guy. What exactly is going on? I was just thinking this morning I might start looking to swap my '14 f150 5.0 for a 2011 powerstroke. I love my truck but need something a little more heavy duty. Anybody care to dumb down what this thread is about?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 PM

It's about the performance of Ford's stock. It has nothing to do with when or if they will stop or lower the incentives. If anything, they would continue even if doing so continues to hurt the stock in order to keep control of market share. For individuals that invest, this is for you as there is money to be made trading (F) on the up and down side. There is even a good opportunity in options here. Sorry, I don't know if this helped or confused more. For the average person this thread means little to nothing to you.
Originally Posted by SparkyLU26
I'm with this guy. What exactly is going on? I was just thinking this morning I might start looking to swap my '14 f150 5.0 for a 2011 powerstroke. I love my truck but need something a little more heavy duty. Anybody care to dumb down what this thread is about?

Last edited by 2016BoostedGreyGoose; 07-28-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Has Worst Day in 5 Years As Earnings Miss