Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you like to see the "Double Cab" doors implemented?
Yes
15.49%
No
84.51%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Is Ford going to adopt a "Double Cab" and get rid of the suicide doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Licensed Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Ford going to adopt a "Double Cab" and get rid of the suicide doors?

My biggest gripe with Ford is that every other major competitor has adopted the "double cab" doors for their extended cab trucks. It's almost like a mini crew cab. (I'll attach some pictures) I've grown increasingly frustrated lately at my suicide doors on my truck, especially in parking lots. It's such a pain to have to open the driver door to get the second door open and God forbid someone is riding with you and now your both stuck between the doors. My buddy has a Chevy and it would seem like such a simple thing to do for Ford. I love the fact that he has two doors he can open and the truck isn't super long. I had a crew cab, it was great! But slap the bed length on that I need for work and I feel like I'm driving a limo. It would be the perfect truck if Ford came out with that door style. Not super long, still able to have a full size bed but also a mini crew cab for the kids and whatnot.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Will ford impliment this in the future? I've owned 3 Ford trucks now and I absolutely love them, they just seem a little behind with the doors.

My truck is in the middle for comparison.

*Edit* Added a Poll to gauge thoughts on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails Is Ford going to adopt a "Double Cab" and get rid of the suicide doors?-img_3289.jpg   Is Ford going to adopt a "Double Cab" and get rid of the suicide doors?-img_3013.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by DeadpanRyan; 02-20-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Poll
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

The doors on my crew are both the same size. I've seen many brands that have a smaller rear door then the front door. With out the door post there and the rear suicide opening door you actually have more room to access the rear seating area. I've had super cabs and now I have a crew. I'd never go back to a super cab...so I didn't vote in your pole.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

I voted to keep suicide doors. Like this guy posted, its more open without the b post. It does suck in a tight parking lot though. Only downside I can think of.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I vote to get rid of the scab and the double cab... we only need two cab configurations, single and crew cab. Pre-crew cabs becoming so mainstream in the late 90's - early 2000's the super cab filled that role nicely, it was all I rode in growing up. Anymore I hardly see supercabs and rarely do I see dealers ordering them for stock.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4life
I vote to get rid of the scab and the double cab... we only need two cab configurations, single and crew cab. Pre-crew cabs becoming so mainstream in the late 90's - early 2000's the super cab filled that role nicely, it was all I rode in growing up. Anymore I hardly see supercabs and rarely do I see dealers ordering them for stock.
Must be a regional thing, dealers here have plenty of super cabs on the lot, I bought one because I don't need a people hauler, traded one in on it. Just wanted a little extra room in the cab and still be able to carry my bike in the back and be able to close the tailgate.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the Scab. Its why I bought it. I like not having the middle pillar. A little more room. Its for occasional rear passengers. If I had rear passengers all the time i would have bought a Screw.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

from what I've heard, the reason Ford kept the rear suicide doors while the others switched to a full four door is because Ford was the only one who could meet crash safety standards without needing to add an additional pillar. I can't say this is true for sure because I think I just heard it from a forum or something, but it makes sense. my friend had a Chevy with the tiny back doors and they were pretty much useless. being 6' and 230 lbs, I struggled to even get into it.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4life
I vote go old school and only have a regular cab (coming from the guy with the scab). I have on interest in a screw, I like the 6.5 bed that is still usefull vs the short bed crew that's really a glorified avalanche IMHO. Hard to do too much work (Carpenter) out of that tiny be. Also easy to load the baby with the scab
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

I like the doors the way they are. In a tight parking lot it is actually easier for me to load stuff into the back as I can open the backdoor fully then close the front door. Anything bigger and I would likely no be able to do this.

As far as getting rid of the Scab. I'm totally against that. We rarely have a passenger so don't need the full backdoor. We do however use the F-150 as our travel vehicle and need room for luggage and coolers. The Scab gives us that space and it is easy to access. Something the regular cab doesn't have.

Around here you'll see mostly Screws at the dealers, followed by Scabs and lastly regular cabs. Even though there are less Scabs on the lot the dealers have a decent number to select from across the trim levels.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Licensed Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old_programmer
I like the doors the way they are. In a tight parking lot it is actually easier for me to load stuff into the back as I can open the backdoor fully then close the front door. Anything bigger and I would likely no be able to do this.

As far as getting rid of the Scab. I'm totally against that. We rarely have a passenger so don't need the full backdoor. We do however use the F-150 as our travel vehicle and need room for luggage and coolers. The Scab gives us that space and it is easy to access. Something the regular cab doesn't have.

Around here you'll see mostly Screws at the dealers, followed by Scabs and lastly regular cabs. Even though there are less Scabs on the lot the dealers have a decent number to select from across the trim levels.
I totally agree, I love the Scab's cabin size and the 6 1/2' bed. I use my truck for work and losing a foot off the bed just sucks. I would enjoy seeing a small door instead of a suicide door but according to the poll I'm not in the majority!