General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fog lights on with high beams

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fog lights on with high beams

i was wondering if anyone knew a way to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on for a 04 f150

Last edited by l8nitecrwler; 06-24-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Do you want the fog lights on with the high beams alone or both high and low?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 PM

i just found out how to do it, but i want them on with highs and lows
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM

this is just for anyone else who is looking to do the same thing

This is how it is done with 2004-2006 Ford F-150s:
First, disconnect your battery.

Behind the passenger kick panel on your late-model F-150 is your fuse box. Pull the access cover off, locate the relay in the top center and pull it out. To make your fog lights stay on with the high beams, you need to provide a permanent ground to one of the pins. At your work bench carefully bend over the tab you see in the photo above. Try to be gentle but bend it over so that it nearly folds over on itself and follows the contour of the relay case. Then get a length of wire (I used 20g) and crimp on a female blade and stick it and the attached wire on the relay pin you folded over. When you're done you'll have what you see in the photo above. Before you push the relay back into the fusebox, use a side-cutter to nibble away or notch the plastic to the right side of the relay socket on the fusebox to gain clearance for the folded over pin. Then pop in your relay and make certain that it is secure. Now locate the green grounding bolt located below and rearward of the fusebox. You'll want to pull the door kicker panel partially out to gain clearance for more space to work in (that pannel has two two clips: pull straight back and the panel will lift out of the way). Route the lose wire coming off of your relay behind the big electrical plug on the rightside (rearward) of the fuse box, cut off the excess wire and crimp on an eyelet. Remove the green grounding bolt and reinstall the bolt with your grounding wire.
Button the two panels you pulled out of the way back up, and then connect your battery. You're done and should feel pretty good about yourself because your fog lights will now stay on with the high beams!
The following users liked this post:
Brown_Ben92 (08-17-2012)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your installation looks very nice and the instructions are also right on target. Nice job fella.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried this but now my high beams don't work but the fog lights do when I turn the switch to high on lol any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 AM

Are the fog lights switching on as the highs switch off and do the highs switch on if the fogs are switched off?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fogs are on w/ my low beams then stay on as I switch to high beam but the headlights shut off entirely but my fogs do stay on and no the highs do not switch on when the fog lights are turned off
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Is the relay you modified seated properly? In order for it to seat into its socket it is necessary to use a side cutters and "nibble away" a little bit on the fuse box. The idea is you want the relay to fit snug but not so tight that you must use excessive pressure to fit the relay into the relay socket or you may break the relay.

Possibilities:

It could also be that your relay broke on the inside while you modified it and has become an evil menace.
It could be you didn't modify the relay properly and your relay thinks you're an evil menace.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed the instructions here to the T. And it work as stated. Took about half an hour to do and well worth it. I took it out tonight and what a difference does it make. Easy and cheap mod. Thanx BRAD

Quick Reply: fog lights on with high beams