Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Film ? 2014 Undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:16 PM
2014 F150 STX 4x4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fluid Film ? 2014 Undercarriage

Hello. New F150 owner. 2014 F150 STX 4x4, black.

What does Ford do at the factory to protect the undercarriage of the truck from rust? (not the paint, the under side of the truck)

Looking at spraying the underside with Fluid Film (live in MN, lotsa salt in Winters).

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

Has anyone here used FF? what are your experiences?

Also, will the Fluid Film hurt any undercoating Ford may have already applied? Link above states "Fluid Film may soften some vehicle undercoatings. Check with dealer/vehicle manufacturer as to compatibility."
(have talked to Dealer, they're clueless, have called Ford 3x, got nowhere)

Anyone w/ experience with FF, I'd appreciate some info. Don't want to void any 'warranties' by applying this stuff but would like some protection in winter from salt etc.

Interested specifically in your experiences with Fluid Film...not "Krown" etc. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Good question. I've read lots of posts and haven't seen any that said any thing neg. other than don't spray rear springs or brake rotors.

I'm getting ready to spray my 2014. I've used 3 spray and have 2 gallon plus 3 spray cans to go.

I'm not drilling any holes as my '99 has no rust in interior panels, just light rust on edge of inner bed panels.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM
2014 F150 STX 4x4

Thanks. Yea, wondering why no one knows whats done to the undercarriage at the factory? Asked dealer, called FOrd etc. Dealer didnt even try to sell me an 'undercoat' spray of any kind, so, wondered where trucks are at these days on it.

As far as FF, why not spray the rear leaf springs? Yea the brake rotors is no issue, those get replaced periodically anyway so not as big a deal, but....

Yea, no holes here either. Will just spray underneath....and possibly lower perimeter of truck as its not supposed to harm paint. at least behind the wheels where stuff sprays up sometimes.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used fluid film on my f250 and seemed fine. It has a funky smell and I believe it needs to be done yearly. I sprayed the inside bottom of my tailgate on my 2013 f150, that is a spot I like to get, havn't done anything else while under warranty.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Someone posted on this site that spraying rear springs allows leafs to rotate on themselves. Then the leaves are not aligned (stacked).
Old 10-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I used fluid film in an industrial application on some test equipment. It does and exceptional job to repel water and keep metal rust free. In our application, we must reapply the stuff frequently. Its a fantastic lubricant as well, you can equate it to a very viscous WD40. Not sure how it would work in an automotive setting. It does have an odd smell particular to itself.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used amsoil mphd on my old tacoma and now my 14 f150. The stuff doesn't wash off with road salt or the other various chemicals they use during the winter around here. Your truck will smell like crayons for a little while, but it's not too bad. I also plan to apply it once a year as a case of 12 16oz cans is only ~$70 just in case it does wear down over time. If you do want to remove it, brake cleaner will do the job.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195/...tor-amh-17731/
Attached Images  

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM
2014 F150 STX 4x4

Thanks, did read up on that but at this point chose Fluid Film as most industrial applications I read about (snow plows, marine environments etc), they use Fluid Film to protect their vehicles. Maybe Amsoil at a later date? TBD

Quick Reply: Fluid Film ? 2014 Undercarriage