General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster mufflers internal size 2.5 vs 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Flowmaster mufflers internal size 2.5 vs 3.0

Does anyone know if the internals of flowmaster mufflers are all the same? I have a 2.5" muffler, I'd like to use 3" pipe. The inlet and outlet are necked down from a larger size from factory. The actual opening and outlet are at least 3" diameter. Do you know what the internals look like? I'm assuming it's the same inside and they just use different inlet pipes. If so I can just cut off the 2.5 and weld on some 3.

Right??
Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Check the Flowmaster web site ( www.flowmastermufflers.com ). *Cut-out/see-thru renderings are available.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Check the Flowmaster web site ( www.flowmastermufflers.com ). *Cut-out/see-thru renderings are available.
I was looking at that. It does look like the internals are larger then the pipe inlet and outlet.

I can't find out for sure but I think they all use the same body. I'll go ahead and make it work.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It will work. I did the same thing on a pair of Bassani mufflers for my Lightning because you can't buy them in 3". It was the only muffler I like on the Lightnings. Just FYI, Slowmasters are a restrictive muffler and if you don't loose power you will certainly not gain any.

I do know that they loose power on a Lightning and I gained almost 30 hp going from a 2 chamber 40 series to a Magnaflow on my Turbo car.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddS
Does anyone know if the internals of flowmaster mufflers are all the same? I have a 2.5" muffler, I'd like to use 3" pipe. The inlet and outlet are necked down from a larger size from factory. The actual opening and outlet are at least 3" diameter. Do you know what the internals look like? I'm assuming it's the same inside and they just use different inlet pipes. If so I can just cut off the 2.5 and weld on some 3.

Right??
The size of the internals will depend on which series of Flowmaster muffler that you have. You should be able to check the size of your muffler's internals by looking in through the outlet side of the muffler and examining the diameter of the collector. If that internal diameter is 3" you can switch out the inlet/outlet to 3" without a problem. If the internals are 2.5", you will want to swap out those mufflers and pick up 3" in/3" out units.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by FlowmasterMufflers
The size of the internals will depend on which series of Flowmaster muffler that you have. You should be able to check the size of your muffler's internals by looking in through the outlet side of the muffler and examining the diameter of the collector. If that internal diameter is 3" you can switch out the inlet/outlet to 3" without a problem. If the internals are 2.5", you will want to swap out those mufflers and pick up 3" in/3" out units.
Thanks.

After cutting the inlet to 3" I can see that the internal is not 3", I didn't measure yet but it's likely 2.5" like the original inlet and outlet. I already have the muffler and will make due. Can't spend an extra $80 for a new muffler right now. It's not a high performance setup so I think it will be fine. This is an old American thunder muffler I used to have on a fox body mustang.

Thanks for the clear answer though. Nice to see the vendor respond
The following users liked this post:
FlowmasterMufflers (10-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Flowmaster mufflers internal size 2.5 vs 3.0