General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Trip With the F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Long Trip With the F150

Ok so I loaded up the wife, 2 kids (both in car seats still) and the dog and set out on a 410 mile trip to the North Country of MI where me and some guys have a hunting camp. What a nice ride in the truck. There is so much room in the back seat, my wife and both my kids were able to sit in the back seat and watch movies on one of those strap to the seat DVD players. We still had to stop 5 times to walk or use the bathroom but at least everyone was comfortable. I dropped the kids and wife at my mother-in-laws and me and the dog continued onto camp. With 4 people and a bed full of supplies (including 600lbs of corn) I was able to get just over 17MPH between highway and country highway driving (mostly) so I was pretty happy with that. The roads into camp were pretty dry and not very rutted so I didn't get to test and of the "off road" capabilities or the truck like I was hoping. I was under the impression that I have a 30 gallon tank. I ran the tank almost dry ( I know I shouldn't but gas stations up there are few and far between) well past when the low fuel warning came on. When I filled up it only took 26.5 gallons.

So my question is, is there a sticker or a code somewhere on the truck that tells what size gas tank is in the vehicle?

John

Last edited by Dark Stone; 10-15-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I wondered about that too. I've ran my tank down to E before a couple times and only takes 14.75 gallons to fill it but according to owners manual, says should be 18 gal tank. No way I'm running 3.25 gallons reserve.....
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the fuel tank size. What were you rhunting for and how did you do? Any pics?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok and now I'm curious. Definately not a hunter myself but 600 lbs of corn? I mean, Damn, that's a lotta corn.....
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is very inconsistent as well. I have had to refuel at 25 gallons before, but on my last trip down to Sedona I had gone well over 500 miles and the gas light had just come on...so I dunno.

they should be the same no?? You have the 06?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2...eatures/specs/

Side note.....yeah...what's up with the corn???
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Ok so as far as what we were hunting, the answer is Ruffed Grouse. I walked with one guy and a dog for 3.5 hours. Before I give my results let me just say that there has not been a good frost yet. We've had a couple of mornings with Frost but not a true freeze yet so the underbrush was still up so there is plenty of cover for the birds. Even if the dogs do flush a bird, it's gone in two seconds into the trees. This is not the hunting you see on TV. Having said that I was able to shoot at and kill one bird but it's the experiense right. We spent the rest of the time fixing things and getting ready for deer camp which starts November 15th in this part of the country. Things like fixing pipes that froze over the winter, welding the Sauna stove where it rusted through. We built a real Finnish Sauna with a wood stove and a water tank around the fire box to make warm water and steam. As I mentioned pipes freezing is a real problem so we don't really use the running water in the camp.

Anyway as to the corn. We have food plots to keep the deer around but that isn't always enough when the snows come early so we've set up 6 automatic feeders that go off twice a day to help give the deer motivation to stay in the area. The corn I brought up should last through the end of November when season is over.

As to the fuel tank, the link that Sin posted only shows one size tank for our configuration of truck. So there should be a 30 gallon tank in there. But I packed every drop of gas in all the way to the top of then neck at it only took 26.5. I wonder how many gallons of gas are in the tank when the low fuel light comes on?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

My truck has a 35 gallon tank but I think it was an added option...Hey Dark stone if u want to experience some REAL fair chase deer hunting come out west and hunt some mulies...

just gotta bust u white tail hunters' ***** a little bit
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM

Buck I've hunted out west in North Dakota. Very different hunting for sure and much bigger dear. Both white tail and mule deer all around. Would love to do it again. I noticed that you are a fire fighter. One of the guys I hunt with does that. He's and equipment opperator for the DNR. Spends a lot of time out west in the summers helping to battle those fires.

John
Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Stone
Buck I've hunted out west in North Dakota. Very different hunting for sure and much bigger dear. Both white tail and mule deer all around. Would love to do it again. I noticed that you are a fire fighter. One of the guys I hunt with does that. He's and equipment opperator for the DNR. Spends a lot of time out west in the summers helping to battle those fires.

John
haha right on. Its kinda funny to hear North Dakota being referred to as out west. But I guess it kinda is to you easterners Im not real familiar with the land in North Dakota but where Im from we have some BIG country and it definitely is a totally different hunting experience than you are used to (no offense meant by the way). I would love to do a white tail hunt some day though. We don't have whitetail in Nevada and unfortunately to get a big boy Mulie you need to hike your ***** off.

Ya I am on a fire engine here out of Nevada. I spent a good amount of time over in California this summer. Its definitely the funnest job I have ever had. Im sure he would say the same.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 PM

No offense taken. Any hunting (as long as it's ethical) is good hunting in my opinion. Maybe someday we will have the opportunity to trade trips, you come up and hunt whitetails with me in the swamp land and I'll come out and hunt mullies with you on the plains. I'd have to work on that hiking thing a bit first though!

John

Quick Reply: First Long Trip With the F150