General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First F150 - Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default First F150 - Few questions

I have been searching the interwebs and forums for the past week. Have not found any clarification on a few questions ive had.

Headlights:
I want to upgrade to some HIDs with projectors. The factory ones are to pricey for me. Are there any aftermarket companies that make headlights that look like the stock ones? I had read little about the spyder ones? I dont really want all of the LEDs or anything like that. Looking for some clean ones with black housings.

Folding Mirrors:
I have the switch on my door to fold the mirrors. Is there any way i can set it up to when i park and turn my truck off they will automatically fold?

Nitto Terra Grapplers:
What are the biggest size grapplers i can fit on my stock 20" wheels without a lift? I May end up doing the 2" leveling kit up front as well.

4wd High:
I had to use the 4wd high this morning in some snow. I can feel it engage when i switch it on the fly. When i turn it off while im still rolling it does not disengage, when i come to a complete stock it then disengages. Is this normal?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headlights - I am in the same boat as you. I am still looking for a factory looking projector set.... prices are still very high for them.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlrmade
I have been searching the interwebs and forums for the past week. Have not found any clarification on a few questions ive had. Headlights: I want to upgrade to some HIDs with projectors. The factory ones are to pricey for me. Are there any aftermarket companies that make headlights that look like the stock ones? I had read little about the spyder ones? I dont really want all of the LEDs or anything like that. Looking for some clean ones with black housings. Folding Mirrors: I have the switch on my door to fold the mirrors. Is there any way i can set it up to when i park and turn my truck off they will automatically fold? Nitto Terra Grapplers: What are the biggest size grapplers i can fit on my stock 20" wheels without a lift? I May end up doing the 2" leveling kit up front as well. 4wd High: I had to use the 4wd high this morning in some snow. I can feel it engage when i switch it on the fly. When i turn it off while im still rolling it does not disengage, when i come to a complete stock it then disengages. Is this normal?
Headlights, you will have to pony up as there really isn't anything that looks as clean as the OEM ones. If you wanted to tackle it yourself you could buy all the stuff to do a retro which would put you at $400 depending on what you buy.

You can find the OEM ones with harness for about a grand new though.

Not sure about switch but have yet to see anyone on here do it.

Not sure on tires, I have 33s on 18s and could do 34's with my level easily

4 WD, it may be that it's staying engaged until you stop because it's loaded. I always let off gas when putting it in or taking out of 4wd. Also make sure you exercise you 4wd if you don't use it much.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE

4 WD, it may be that it's staying engaged until you stop because it's loaded. I always let off gas when putting it in or taking out of 4wd. Also make sure you exercise you 4wd if you don't use it much.
Exactly! Learned that on my first 4X4 back in the '70's.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

If I'm in low I'll actually back up a few feet to help disengage.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (02-10-2016)

Quick Reply: First F150 - Few questions