General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f150 stuck with boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default f150 stuck with boat

this is why its important to regear the front and back at the same time, and not just the back
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

You gotta be some kind of stupid to only regear one of your axles *facepalm*
Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Almighty
You gotta be some kind of stupid to only regear one of your axles *facepalm*
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that, and backed to damn far into the water lol. always find it funny when people think they have to back that far in.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Alcohol consumption causes issues as well. Years back, a buddy of mine was told if he couldn't back his car into the water, to uncouple the trailer and roll it into the water. They also told him to then take the winch off the boat, then hook it to the car hitch to recover the trailer.

Well, he did uncouple the trailer and rolled it into the water. This is the part that sobriety could have prevented. He took us for a spin that afternoon and couldn't get much speed out of it. He had a 200 hp Mariner engine, and we thought it should have had more snap. We went to the transom and removed the cover off the outboard to check for any obvious defects. Looking into the water, I quickly discovered something that looked like a license plate.

Well I'll be damned! It was! Idiot didn't even unstrap the boat from the trailer! Which at this point I suppose was a good thing! A mile and a half from shore and we are still toting the trailer under the boat.

Since then, I choose to associate with brighter people.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Ford Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i have been in towing and recovery for years as well as trailer hauling. Now i have never launched a boat but im with the guy that thinks he backed to far into the water. Yes it is dumb as can be to only regear one axle, if you don't have the money to do both at one time keep saving money till you can do it right !

Now to the recovery part. I see he has his winch hooked up to that tree, One i don't see a tree saver strap and two never try to help the winch ! You should always put the vehicle in neutral and let the winch do the work until you can unhook the winch and drive out. If your winch wont pull your truck and load then ****** block it and double its capacity. If that don't work then its time to get rid of the ATV winch and get a real one LOL.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpatiolantern
Alcohol consumption causes issues as well. Years back, a buddy of mine was told if he couldn't back his car into the water, to uncouple the trailer and roll it into the water. They also told him to then take the winch off the boat, then hook it to the car hitch to recover the trailer.

Well, he did uncouple the trailer and rolled it into the water. This is the part that sobriety could have prevented. He took us for a spin that afternoon and couldn't get much speed out of it. He had a 200 hp Mariner engine, and we thought it should have had more snap. We went to the transom and removed the cover off the outboard to check for any obvious defects. Looking into the water, I quickly discovered something that looked like a license plate.

Well I'll be damned! It was! Idiot didn't even unstrap the boat from the trailer! Which at this point I suppose was a good thing! A mile and a half from shore and we are still toting the trailer under the boat.

Since then, I choose to associate with brighter people.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy who owns that truck is on this forum.
A great looking truck too.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

2wd wouldve had the same problem (even tho this is a 4x4). Sometimes you have to do with what you have. I'm sure he's done this before. I dont see him being too far in the water, and the surface hes on didnt help any either. The baots we launch we sometimes have to have the rear tires IN the water to get them on/off the trailer. 2wd serves us fine.

Originally Posted by ford361
The guy who owns that truck is on this forum.
A great looking truck too.
This Can't wait for his take on the situation, it should liven the thread up.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 263 Likes on 195 Posts

I am more concerned with proper winching techniques than anything else in this video. there are waaaay too many people standing waaaay to close to that winch cable, there is no weight or anything to hold the cable down if it should snap, no tree saver, and I venture to say he probably is pulling more weight than the winch's rating. he's lucky being stuck was his only problem.

Quick Reply: f150 stuck with boat