General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f150 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f150 starting problem

alright i posted a thread about this problem before and i did everything and i still have them same problem. alright so heres the problem my truck won't start unless i put gas in the intake then it will fire right up and stay runnin. but if i let the truck sit for 2 or 3 days without trying to start it. it will fire up and run but if i shut it off it won't start unless i put gas in the intake. heres what i replaced i replaced the back gas tank the fuel sending unit and pump. i took the front gas tank out a few months ago and i just used some bolts and clamps to keep the gas from comeing out of the hose it works. but if have any idea of what it might be let me know thanks.

p.s. my truck is a 1993 ford f150 xlt 4x4 with a 5.0L if that helps
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Buy a fuel pressure gauge and test for pressure after the engine sits the 2-3 days. It will probably have no pressure but should presurize with the initial turning of the key. It might take 2-3 turnings of the key to develove the 30-40 psi.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then what will this tell me?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You already know there is no fuel getting into the cylinders, this will seperate the problem being fuel delivery or injector firing. If there is pressure, the pumps are doing their thing and its something else the PCM or relate to it. If there is no pressure being built up, then its an issue with the pump or relay or wiring. We need to narrow down the probabilities. When we don't know what is wrong, then we have to break down the system and find out what is right.

Quick Reply: f150 starting problem