Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 stalls upon stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Preston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 stalls upon stopping.

I just wanted to tell you guys an interesting thing that happened to me. I noticed my negative battery terminal on my 2007 F150 was starting to corrode and decided to clean it......no problem there. I got it cleaned up and put back on but I noticed my truck was idleing funny and my tachometer was jumping all over the place. I read in the owners manual that when you disconnect the battery, you have to start the truck up and let it idle for a minute with nothing on, then turn the A/C on and let it idle for another minute. This is supposedly to let your ECU re-learn your engine idle speed. Well, it turned out that for two days afterward, my truck would idle all the way down to about 250 rpm's and then stall when I came to a stop sign or red light. This was very frustrating and dangerous at crowded intersections. I could find no mention of this problem in the owners manual. I then turned to online forums and found mostly responses from members saying to check all kinds of things from the alternator to some abbreviations that I had no clue what they meant. There were no check engine or battery lights on other than when the engine would stall. The truck would run fine on the highway and would idle in park or neutral. The Ford dealer wanted to charge me $85 just to plug it in to the diagnostic computer but also stated if my check engine light was not on, they would find no codes to tell me what was wrong and neither did anyone want to take a guess at what could be the problem. I then turned back to the internet and found a short posting by a guy that suggested cleaning my throttle body with throttle body and air cleaner spray. I decided to take the chance and figured $3.99 was not a going to cost my kids school clothes this fall. Well, it worked beautifully! The truck runs like new. The throttle body wasn't extremely dirty but I guess it didn't need to be. I'm going to clean it about once a year now when I change the air filter and hopefully put this problem to rest. Hope this helps some guys out there that are looking for a solution for their stalling F150.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
11 Limited 6.2 2WD SCREW

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Pena, Iwill give this a try as well!

Scott
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I gave this a try and it was a dirty throttle body.

Quick Reply: F150 stalls upon stopping.