Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-150 not starting

Hi
I'm new to this site so bear with me. I have a plow truck 94, was running when I parked it for the summer. Now it wont start. It has fuel,spark to the plugs, plugs are wet.
There was a thread with about the same problems when i joined but have lost it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If you have spark at the plugs, but plugs are wet you need to replace plugs. It would be better to replace wires also.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
all hail the blue oval

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the plugs are wet then you either flooded (injector stuck open, high fuel pressure) , have something in the fuel tank that wont burn (water), or have weak spark (bad coil, wires, etc). Try using a spark tester or a plug with the gap opened real wide to recheck the spark.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Pimp

Did you use any fuel stabilizer? Suspect you have moisture in the tank. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank, I would try a little dry gas. What's it like $2, you've got nothing to lose. Also check to see if anything took up residence in your exhaust. Had an old beater Subaru that I would drive all winter long (truck is 2WD) and one year when I went to start it up I found that some sort of rodent had nested in the tailpipe and blocked it.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Insteresting thought on the tailpipe Mr. B, stuff can happen when sitting. Hey buddy if its still not going, put a set of clean and dry plugs in there. Give it a try, and get back. Another thought, is the air filter dry? Would hate to see a wet filter from rain or what ever obstructing the air flow. Last idea, does the engine while cranking sound like it always has?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Here is what has been updated. Drained fuel tank and supplied with fresh gas with additive, replaced distributer cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil, engine coolant sensor, throttle position sensor (found fused wires at sensor).

A KOEO test shows only the engine coolant and transmission temp. out of range probably because it's 34 deg.out. Cleaned, flushed and lubed assiciated connetors during the process.

I have not purchased a fuel pressure gauge yet to test manifold pressure.

After all this It still will not start even when frustrated and shot it with starting fluid.

I'm all ears

thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless the plugs are still sopping wet, starting fluid should have made this engine pop if the spark is present and if the basic engine timing is correct.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The spark must not be hot enough to start the truck. Have the ignition module tested. If it tests ok then the hall effect sensor will be the fault more than likely.

Quick Reply: F-150 not starting