Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an F-150 enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an F-150 enough?

Hello.

I've been a longtime Ranger owner, but we bought a camping trailer with a 6500# GVWR so it's time to get a bigger truck. It will also be my daily runner, and when we camp it needs to haul the kids. With front and rear bench seats and 3-point harnesses in all six spots, the SuperCrew is a great truck that meets a lot of different needs. I can't afford brand new.

However, I've been doing payload math and I have concerns. Most used 150s have between 1500# and 1700# payload capacity. Most of that will be eaten up with fuel, driver, passengers, trailer tongue weight, and weight distributing hitch. Doesn't leave much for a topper or gear, firewood, etc.

In reality, I'll be towing and loaded maybe 10-12 times per year. The rest of the time the truck will just be my daily driver. Hard to see going to an F-250, but at the same time I can't find any of the HD payload 150s with 2000#+ capacity.

Open to any thoughts as I work through all of this and try to make an informed decision that benefits my family
Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you need. I'd suggest you just keep looking for a HDPP or Max Tow at least 1800+ PL. If you look for a lightly optioned Lariat or XLT then you should be able to find one. Is a SuperCab possible? Mine is neither HDPP or Max Tow, but my PL is over 2000#.

Also, any chance you could take a second vehicle camping? maybe a car or small SUV that gets good mileage? A 6500GVWR trailer isn't very heavy. I'd suggest loading as much into it as you can (without overloading the trailer) as only about 13% of the trailer weight is put towards the PL.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

It is possible to buy an F-150 set up to do what you want to do. And for occasionally towing (2-3 times a year) that much I'd probably go with an F-150. But if you're planning on doing it 10-12 times a year it is time to consider an F-250. Long term the F-250 will hold up longer. When not towing the F-150 will get very slightly better fuel mileage, but the F-250 will get much better fuel mileage when towing, especially if you go with a diesel.

Unless you really want the premier trim packages you can often find mid level trim F-250's very near the same price point as F-150's.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure how you are doing your calculations, but fuel is part of the curb weight when the OEM sets payload.

Payload = GVWR - Curb weight.

From the Ford fleet guide:

Base Curb Weight
The weight of the vehicle including standard
equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. It
does not include the weight of driver, passengers,
cargo or any optional or aftermarket equipment
So the full 1500-1700 cargo capacities you've been looking at is for passengers, "stuff" (toys, topper, luggage, firewood, bikes, etc) and tongue weights.

Your first post made it sound like you felt you had to subtract fuel weight from the cargo, which you don't. It's already in the curb weight.

Last edited by Great white; 02-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Great white
Not sure how you are doing your calculations, but fuel is part of the curb weight when the OEM sets payload.

Payload = GVWR - Curb weight.

From the Ford fleet guide:

[/FONT]
Could be additional fuel. For the truck, trailer, generator, campfire, etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
Could be additional fuel. For the truck, trailer, generator, campfire, etc.
Yup, could be. I had considered that. I just threw out the curb weight/payload info just in case.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
It is possible to buy an F-150 set up to do what you want to do. And for occasionally towing (2-3 times a year) that much I'd probably go with an F-150. But if you're planning on doing it 10-12 times a year it is time to consider an F-250. Long term the F-250 will hold up longer. When not towing the F-150 will get very slightly better fuel mileage, but the F-250 will get much better fuel mileage when towing, especially if you go with a diesel.

Unless you really want the premier trim packages you can often find mid level trim F-250's very near the same price point as F-150's.

I just learned a lesson the real hard way. MPG is only one part of the equation. If he goes to a diesel the extra cost for diesel (depending on location), DEF and more expensive maintenance all have to be factored in. Not to mention most diesels are really made for long hauls and heavy loads. A daily commuter that sees limited mileage can be hard on them. If a 250 is the truck for him cool. I just hate to see people make the mistake I did by focusing on MPG.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, but I've got a 2012 TT that is 7k unloaded and about 8250 loaded with all our camping gear.

There are 7 of us, sometimes we take two cars (when everyone is going) other times we take just the truck (when we're not all going). With most of the stuff loaded in the trailer, and usually bikes/wood in the bed of the truck I cap out damn near all the payload limits.

A lot of folks in these forums advise that this is not a suitable condition. For about 6 months of the year, the truck/trailer get heavy use. About 1k miles per month. A little less from Nov->Apr.

A lot of very high winds, a lot of elevation change, a lot of long flat straights, a lot of steep hills. Since 2012 when I got an F-150 to pull it I have had no problems either controlling the rig, or mechanically. I just got a 2016 in January so hope that trend continues, it technically has slightly higher towing capacity, but the payload is the limiting factor regardless.

It's also my daily driver, so I wanted it to be comfortable, and 'easy' to drive, fit into parking garages/spots, etc. The F-150 has certainly been enough for me.
The following users liked this post:
zx12-iowa (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

My mileages may be a little high as most of the guys I know don't beat on trucks as hard as some around here.
You also live in a colder climate which may drive them down but they work for comparison but the EB is most effected by the nut behind the wheel.

F250 / F350 SRW 4x4 6.2 3.73 - 15 US MPG average.
F150 4x4 5.0 3.55 - 18 mpg average.
F150 4x4 3.5EB 3.31 - 17 mpg average.

Once you get back into the 5.4 you loose a lot of power and it doesn't do much better than the an SD on mpg.

Before giving up on new I think you should look at sticker on a Screw XL 101A Chrome Pkg or Sport 4x4 with a 2.7EB with the Payload Package (7000 GVWR) or the 5.0 as they are pretty attractive and have all the things the XLT used to have. A buddy bought one with the 6.5 bed (5.0 standard) with 3.55, FX4, Tow, FiTBC, 36 gal tank, Pwr Slider R. Window.and paid $34,500 US for it. Payload Sticker was 1950 lb. I know Canadian prices are higher but they are a lot cheaper than the higher line trucks. 25,% off seems doable on a left over 2016.

Last edited by Gene K; 02-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Angus1
I just learned a lesson the real hard way. MPG is only one part of the equation. If he goes to a diesel the extra cost for diesel (depending on location), DEF and more expensive maintenance all have to be factored in. Not to mention most diesels are really made for long hauls and heavy loads. A daily commuter that sees limited mileage can be hard on them. If a 250 is the truck for him cool. I just hate to see people make the mistake I did by focusing on MPG.
You're correct. In 2017 a diesel isn't the clear choice it used to be. With DEF, higher fuel and repair costs there are certainly some negatives. But while a 1/2 ton can be equipped to pull the load this is bordering on 3/4 ton territory. A lot depends on the terrain too. I'd pull that load with my truck on occasion. But if it were something I planned to do as often as he is, and if in mountains, I'd at least look at F-250 options. If not the diesel, then the 6.2 gas engine. I still believe that engine in a 3/4 ton will get better fuel mileage while towing than the 2.7 turbo, 3.5 turbo or 5.0 V8. Especially with gas engines the real world prices on F-250's are closer to F-150 than many realize.