Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warrenty or not?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended warrenty or not?

Is the extended warranty (5 year / 60000 for $1540) worth it, are Ford F150's that prone to issues within the first 5 years?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally don't believe in them......The auto manufacturers wouldn't offer them if they couldn't make a lot of money off them.....The only way they make a lot of money is for there to be minimal problems.....

Mike
Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewted
Is the extended warranty (5 year / 60000 for $1540) worth it, are Ford F150's that prone to issues within the first 5 years?
If you are talking about a new F150, you can get that coverage for $515 at most with a $100 deductible. Just under $700 with no deductible. That's premium care 5yr 60,000 miles. Search online. It's insurance.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

5yr 60k is the basic powertrain warranty, comes with the truck no extra charge, also includes road side assistance. At least it did with my 2013, should be on the window sticker.

I also got the actual extended warranty that takes the whole truck to 7yr 75k mile warranty, that covers everything from powertrain once base runs out and everything else normally covered with the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper.

If they are trying to sell you what is already covered, RUN don't walk to another dealer, they are obviously trying to rip you off.

I opted for the extended warranty due to my 1st hand experiences as a Ford tech, way to many times I've seen it pay for itself on the first use, a/c comp craps your looking at better than a grand parts and labor, one electronic modules goes, another $500-700 etc. I'm sure newer trucks have even more electronics in them but as an example, my 2013 XLT has 15 separate computer modules, the more options you add add's even more to that list.

Look at it for what it is, another form of insurance. If you can afford to replace all these expensive components with cash then no need to get it.

I paid $1,100 for a Ford Premium Care ESP from www.floodfordesp.com, there are others online as well, at the time Flood Ford was the least expensive so shop around.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Bug

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Are they worth it? Maybe, maybe not, depends on how long you are planning to keep the truck.

Everyone has a different view on if Ford ESP is a ripoff or not. I'm in the camp of yes they are worth it for my particular situation. I seem to keep trucks for around 6-7 years, 75k-100k miles.

I bought ESP Premium Care with $100 deductible on vehicles (cars and trucks) I've had since early 2000's. I've had to use it in years 5 or 6 of ownership and it did save me $ overall. All issues I had were electrical in nature, none were mechanical.

Take a look at the forums - you'll find the majority of issues mentioned are electrical in nature. Cars and trucks these days are basically rolling circuit boards, and those power windows/ac fans/instrument clusters/moonroofs/etc etc are gonna get cycled a lot in the next 5+ years.

Premium Care covers "almost" all electrical components. Go online, find a Ford dealer that sells ESP's online, get a quote for your particular needs, go to your local dealership, ask if they will match it. If they won't then get ESP online. All Ford dealers honor Ford ESP. If you get a plan that only your local dealer offers, then if you have an issue on vacation out-of-state, that Ford dealer may not honor it.

My $.02
Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

I've been driving all manner of vehicles over 40 years. I tend to keep them 10+ years and/or 150,000-200,000 miles. I've had some minor issues that were corrected under warranty on some. In my experience if you have a factory defect it will show up well before the basic factory warranty expires. If you make it to 3years/36,000 miles, you aren't likely to have major issues for at least another 100,000-150,000.

Neither the factory nor extended warranty covers oil and fluid changes, tires, brakes, batteries, etc. Those are the most common expenses with any vehicle. Stay on top of those items and the big stuff lasts a long time. I wouldn't pay $1500 for an extended warranty. I haven't come close to spending that much on any single vehicle on repairs in my life.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it was for Ford Premium Care or whatever the highest package coverage had. The price was also in Canadian dollars and made mention of it was worth a $1000 trade-in value on a new truck at end of period. Guess I'll have to look more into the coverage details, I am more concerned with frequency of issues, but that too is an unknown variable.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Rewted
I believe it was for Ford Premium Care or whatever the highest package coverage had. The price was also in Canadian dollars and made mention of it was worth a $1000 trade-in value on a new truck at end of period. Guess I'll have to look more into the coverage details, I am more concerned with frequency of issues, but that too is an unknown variable.
The ESP is good in Canada so I have been told. Also the start time and mileage is from mile 1, day 1. It does not give you an extra 5yr/50k miles.

They are trying to sell you something you already have. I have the 7/75 ESP which by the parameters stated actually gives me an extra 2yrs/15k miles beyond the base powertrain warranty, and 4yr/39k miles beyond the bumper to bumper warranty.

Be sure you read the fine print!!

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-22-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

They're good as long as you price shop online and purchase that way or get the dealer to match. Mine came close enough for me and I happen to be sitting in there and wanted it off my plate/out of my mind.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

got one for just under $1k through flood ford online. 7yr/60k (I don't drive much). bought it for peace of mind and with the hopes of not having to use it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended warrenty or not?