General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Issues

I need to replace/clean the drivers side cat in order to avoid paying the shop $1000 to do it. I do not want to just remove and straight pipe it. I am not interested in making my truck sound different or anything like that.

I have an '07 F150 5.4 and I can not get the damn cat off. I want to remove it so I can put it back on after cleaning it or purchasing a replacement. The issue is at the junction where the cat connects to the cross pipe going to the muffler. I removed the nut and I can not get the damn thing to move. I have tried heat, liquid wrench and a come along to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it an option to cut the cat out and weld it back in? Or maybe some muffler clamps? This is about your best option..
Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is it just seems ridiculous to need to cut it out when there is some sort of clamp there. I have never really worked on a vehicle this new and it appears the clamp is somehow welded to the pipe itself. Is this possible?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its 2 different metals it is very possible for it to weld itself with corrosion. I'm not sure of you setup with out pictures but last time I changed mine I thought the clamps would be best for easy take off but I had to cut them anyway so I just weld it anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Gutter34000 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutter34000
I need to replace/clean the drivers side cat in order to avoid paying the shop $1000 to do it. I do not want to just remove and straight pipe it. I am not interested in making my truck sound different or anything like that.

I have an '07 F150 5.4 and I can not get the damn cat off. I want to remove it so I can put it back on after cleaning it or purchasing a replacement. The issue is at the junction where the cat connects to the cross pipe going to the muffler. I removed the nut and I can not get the damn thing to move. I have tried heat, liquid wrench and a come along to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gutter34000,

You should be able to get a muffler shop to put in something like a Magnafow cat for a lot less than that. I'm thinking in the $300.00 to $400.00 range or less. Maybe I'm out of date, but unless you are going with a FoMoCo cat, that is a lot of money.

Green Gem

Quick Reply: Exhaust Issues