General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPAS = Terrible Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default EPAS = Terrible Experience

I have come to the conclusion that the electric steering on my 2013 F150 is terrible. The steering wheel always has to be to the right to go straight, the alignment has been checked 4 times and each time they adjust the toe to get the wheel centered but then in a few weeks the steering wheel is off again. This is testing on the same roads and even a cement runway which is super flat. I am sure it is the EPAS but because there are no codes the dealer says there is nothing wrong with the EPAS and cannot explain the off center steering wheel because when it is on the rack, the specs are the same exact specs from when they last adjusted the toe to correct the off center wheel.

Does anyone know if I disconnect the battery will it reset the EPAS? I think the fancy pitch and yaw crap Ford built into the EPAS system that causes the EPAS to adjust the steering angle is causing this. Maybe I am wrong but I have had it with a truck that needs alignments every 2 months or I fight with the steering. Either of which is a pain to deal with.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The rack is like any other with exception of the power assist being electric rather than hydraulic, sounds to me like the whole unit is loose on it's mounting bolts or the bushings are defective, take it to a different dealer, apparently the techs at your dealer are morons.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

I could be totally off here but my understanding of Fords electronic assist power steering is the there is still a mechanical connecting from the steering wheel to the steering rack just like regular power steering but instead of being hydraulic assisted its electric. If there is still a mechanical connection between the rack and the steering wheel how would the electric assist have the ability to turn the steering wheel separate of the front wheels?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Is the truck carrying the same load when you are driving it and as it is when it is being aligned? Many years ago, I saw a vehicle that had to be aligned with its fairly large driver in the driver's seat to correct a similar problem. If you take heavy things out of the truck before the alignment, it could be changing the results.

Green Gem
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Green Gem
Is the truck carrying the same load when you are driving it and as it is when it is being aligned? Many years ago, I saw a vehicle that had to be aligned with its fairly large driver in the driver's seat to correct a similar problem. If you take heavy things out of the truck before the alignment, it could be changing the results.

Green Gem

I thought of that and loaded the passenger side up with 250lbs of weight with no change. Could be the EPAS needs to sense the balanced weight over time to correct itself but I am not sure.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kozal01
I could be totally off here but my understanding of Fords electronic assist power steering is the there is still a mechanical connecting from the steering wheel to the steering rack just like regular power steering but instead of being hydraulic assisted its electric. If there is still a mechanical connection between the rack and the steering wheel how would the electric assist have the ability to turn the steering wheel separate of the front wheels?
Right on the money, it is still a regular rack and pinion, it receives assist either hydraulically or electrically. The entire housing would have to be loose at it's mounting point to do what they are saying, however the other post about excess weight could also be a factor.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM

EPAS system – a software-based pull-drift compensation program that helps keep a vehicle equipped with EPAS on track when faced with crosswinds or an uneven driving surface. The pull-drift compensation program operates via sensors that constantly measure wheel torque applied by the driver to maintain direction. When the program detects extra effort being used, the electric motor adds torque in the proper direction to prevent the driver from having to make corrections to keep the car on course. The compensation program is said to be virtually undetectable by the driver when in operation, and the program automatically resets itself to compensate for changing road conditions or curving roads. Ford says the pull-drift compensation program is designed to increase customer satisfaction in steering, suspension, and ride quality surveys by up to 50%.

It sure has not increased my satisfaction. Maybe it is time to upgrade to a 6.2 ?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Green Gem

Green Gem
I was the allotment tech at my dealer and I had a couple rather large customers that I had to ask to sit in the vehicle when I aligned their vehicles for the very same reason.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Right on the money, it is still a regular rack and pinion, it receives assist either hydraulically or electrically. The entire housing would have to be loose at it's mounting point to do what they are saying, however the other post about excess weight could also be a factor.

Not entirely correct. The EPAS system can adjust the angle of the steering based on cross windows, road crown and torque the user applies to the wheel.

I think my EPAS system thinks I am permanently on a road with a 2 degree slant.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Is the truck pulling to what ever side the wheel is cocked?

Quick Reply: EPAS = Terrible Experience