Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > General F150 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read StoreVendor Directory

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation engine problem - bad lifter

Y'all,

My truck (2007 F150 5.4L V8) is making a sound that I don't particularly care for. I guess I would call it a ticking sound. It is always there and the sound speeds up as I accelerate.

I originally thought that it may be an exhaust leak. But I had a mechanic look at the truck and he told me that it was definitely not an exhaust leak and that he was pretty sure that it was a bad lifter.

I asked a mechanically inclined friend of mine of his opinion and he had a friend with the same model truck that had a bad lifter and it sounded just like mine but louder.

I guess I have 2 questions:
1) Do y'all agree with the diagnosis?
2) Do any of you know anything about changing a lifter?
...... ok, so I thought of a few more....
3) Is it hard to do?
4) Can it be done in a home garage?
5) Are lifters sold individually?
6) Should I change them all?
7) Will I be able to identify the bad lifter?
8) How much would it cost to have a shop do it?
9) What if I change the lifter and the sound doesn't go away; what else could it be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Ninja Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Y'all,

My truck (2007 F150 5.4L V8) is making a sound that I don't particularly care for. I guess I would call it a ticking sound. It is always there and the sound speeds up as I accelerate.

I originally thought that it may be an exhaust leak. But I had a mechanic look at the truck and he told me that it was definitely not an exhaust leak and that he was pretty sure that it was a bad lifter.

I asked a mechanically inclined friend of mine of his opinion and he had a friend with the same model truck that had a bad lifter and it sounded just like mine but louder.

I guess I have 2 questions:
1) Do y'all agree with the diagnosis?
2) Do any of you know anything about changing a lifter?
...... ok, so I thought of a few more....
3) Is it hard to do?
4) Can it be done in a home garage?
5) Are lifters sold individually?
6) Should I change them all?
7) Will I be able to identify the bad lifter?
8) How much would it cost to have a shop do it?
9) What if I change the lifter and the sound doesn't go away; what else could it be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
An exhaust leak sounds totally different in my opinion from a lifter tick. I can't say anything for sure unless I was there to hear it. I would get a few different opinions from local shops. Maybe let one have it for a day and have them give you a quote to fix it. The quote will have a detailed description of what exactly is wrong with it.

If it is a bad lifter and you do want to fix it your self, go get the manual on your truck and read up on it (thoroughly). Changing a lifter isn't too hard and yes you could totally do it in a garage. Just depends on how confident you are when it comes to ripping in to a gasoline engine.

The way to figure out witch lifter is bad, is to check the tolerances between your push rods and rocker arms. The manual will walk you through that as well. The bad one could also be totally visible too. Haha.

The cool part about doing it your self, is you get to know your vehicle. Gives you a certain sense of pride.

Good luck

-Chris

~SUPPORT OUR TROOPS~

Last edited by C Denny Run*; 01-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.
C Denny Run* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
5 Year Member

^X2, get another opinion, an awful lot of guys complaining about the cam phasers making noise.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM