Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ecoboost v-6 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 AM
gr8dane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ecoboost v-6 f-150

I was reading motortrend yesterday and they had some good info on what ford is doing with their new ecoboost series engines. There is a 2.0 that is going to be replacing the 4.0 v-6 and going in a lot of their cars, the base mustang and even the edge. It also said that they are planning on putting an ecoboost v-6 in some f-150s. Any thoughts? would you be willing to have a taurus engine in your f-150? 365 hp and good gas mileage in an awesone f-150... sounds good to me, what do you guys think? would you rather have an ecoboost or a smaller turbo diesel?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of your answers may be in these:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/v6-ecoboost-f150-true-39163/?highlight=ecoboost

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/opinions-eco-boost-3-5-f-150s-37939/?highlight=ecoboost

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/eco-boost-3-5-v6-worth-wait-36290/?highlight=ecoboost
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd rather have the turbo diesel....something about a v-6 in a truck just doesnt sound cool to me regardless of the hp numbers.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You cannot get a manual transmission in an F-150 so I don't really care if they put a wind up rubber band in it. In Canada you can no longer get a manual transmission in the SuperDuty. WTF? Has Ford Canada gone GAY?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the V-6 had a bigger displacement, I wouldn't mind it. I am just hard pressed to believe that the powerful V-6 will do a whole lot better on fuel mileage. It will have more power than my 5.4L though, that's a good thing. I would rather have the turbo diesel, just MHO. There have been a few threads on this subject, with many supporting and opposing views of the ecoboost V-6. Many good points made in the posts.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

oops, computer messed up. Had to edit

Last edited by JJ1983; 12-19-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: double post
Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheJMC
You cannot get a manual transmission in an F-150 so I don't really care if they put a wind up rubber band in it. In Canada you can no longer get a manual transmission in the SuperDuty. WTF? Has Ford Canada gone GAY?

I think Ford USA has gone gay as well, I believe they are no longer going to offer the manual trans in the superduty soon as well. I won't be a buyer anymore. I told myself my next truck will be a standard, so..... gues I might buy a fiat Chrysler or Govt motors truck, depending if Ford hasn't put them outta business yet. Hell, maybe ford will make a small or midsize crew cab truck like all the other manufacturers do, i would definitely buy one of those.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing the Ecoboost TT V6 in the F-150. It'd be a nice option for someone who needs the capacity of a truck, but doesn't necessarily need to towing ability of a bigger V8 or diesel. Still, I'd prefer a diesel, as it'd get decent gas mileage AND have all the ability.

Originally Posted by JJ1983
I think Ford USA has gone gay as well, I believe they are no longer going to offer the manual trans in the superduty soon as well. I won't be a buyer anymore. I told myself my next truck will be a standard, so..... gues I might buy a fiat Chrysler or Govt motors truck, depending if Ford hasn't put them outta business yet. Hell, maybe ford will make a small or midsize crew cab truck like all the other manufacturers do, i would definitely buy one of those.
It is quite disappointing that Ford is no longer making a full size with a manual. As such, I don't think my next truck purchase will be a F-150. I really want Ford to do a full redesign on the Ranger, giving it the same or better options and capabilities as the Frontier/Tacoma...Real extended cab and crew cab options with decent space and amenities, a V6 with respectable power (at this point, the top-of-the-line engine needs to be pushing close to 300 HP and similar torque), 6-speed manual tranny, and the ability to pull over 6k pounds. Unlike the Frontier/Tacoma, it'd be a solid Ford truck with a real frame and suspension, and good styling. They could throw in a 6' bed and a manual t-case too If that was available, I'd have bought it rather than my F-150. I loved the 93 Ranger I had some years ago, but when buying my F-150, I wanted a modern truck, not one that had its last major redesign in 1997; hell, the current Rangers aren't much different than my old 93. It's too bad Ford has ignored the Ranger so much...It's still a good truck, but it's easily the oldest, least advanced vehicle in Ford's line-up. Yet, they cost nearly $19 grand for a base model

Last edited by nagata; 12-19-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by nagata
I wouldn't mind seeing the Ecoboost TT V6 in the F-150. It'd be a nice option for someone who needs the capacity of a truck, but doesn't necessarily need to towing ability of a bigger V8 or diesel. Still, I'd prefer a diesel, as it'd get decent gas mileage AND have all the ability.

It is quite disappointing that Ford is no longer making a full size with a manual. As such, I don't think my next truck purchase will be a F-150. I really want Ford to do a full redesign on the Ranger, giving it the same or better options and capabilities as the Frontier/Tacoma...Real extended cab and crew cab options with decent space and amenities, a V6 with respectable power (at this point, the top-of-the-line engine needs to be pushing close to 300 HP and similar torque), 6-speed manual tranny, and the ability to pull over 6k pounds. Unlike the Frontier/Tacoma, it'd be a solid Ford truck with a real frame and suspension, and good styling. They could throw in a 6' bed and a manual t-case too If that was available, I'd have bought it rather than my F-150. I loved the 93 Ranger I had some years ago, but when buying my F-150, I wanted a modern truck, not one that had its last major redesign in 1997; hell, the current Rangers aren't much different than my old 93. It's too bad Ford has ignored the Ranger so much...It's still a good truck, but it's easily the oldest, least advanced vehicle in Ford's line-up. Yet, they cost nearly $19 grand for a base model
I whole heartly agree. All I need is a midsize truck that is a crew, and of course "want" a 4x4 as well in it. You know, I wonder how many buyers actually would want a Ford crew midsize (and I aint talking about that sport trac either), but instead have to go with an F150 to get a crew cab? I wonder if this is one reason F150 is the best selling truck, because many diehard ford fans stick with ford, but to get a crew, must buy an F150? ALL OF THE COMPETITORS offer a crew cab,midsize/small truck with a manual 4x4, maybe the reason they don't sell as many full size trucks. hmmmm
Old 12-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Received 1,689 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ1983
Originally Posted by nagata

Unfortunately gents, if you want a "wrist flicker" HD truck, you will have to go Mopar. GM no longer has a MTX offering either. The only optional transmission in the GM corral is the Allison 6A for $12xx.

IIRC, I remember reading somewhere (MSN or MotorTrend/Car and Driver) that Mopar fans will have to do without a manual after 2011 or 2012 as well.

Bottom line is that with todays ATX technology, MTX is a thing of the past. No longer is a MTX truck "better" for anything, what with Hill Descent Control, First/Second gear holds, etc. NTM- people in general are becoming lazier and don't wanna have to shift.

Quick Reply: ecoboost v-6 f-150