General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dying f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dying f150

Ok, bought a 1996 f150 pu for my 16 yr old daughter. I has been one problem after another. Right now I can not figure out a stalling/dying issue. She drives it to school and back, about 25 miles. Usually on the way home it will start to stall, shack and is fine. Last couple of days it just dies and will not run. She says oil pressure drops then it will start to die. We had an issue with intermittent running when we first got it, bad distributor. I have changed the fuel filter, nasty, cleaned the injectors, replaced wires and spark plugs. Just not sure what else to do. I hear the fuel pump coming on but once it dies it will not restart for some time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Michael
Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you checked the FDMP(I think those are the initials)? Its a fuel sending unit attached to the frame somewhere around your spare time. Easy DIY fix. There are a few threads concerning this and I know there have been quite a few of us that have done the change. Mine just happen to die in my driveway. Anyway, that maybe something you want to check out. Believe me, when you find it and see it you will know if its good or not.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks I will check into that. I did do fuel pressure test. It was around 40 psi while it was running. Went to 0 when it died. I hear the pump coming on, just no pressure.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM

ok, checked the FPDM, it seems to be in good shape. no visible corrosion. Also, if this was bad would you still hear the fuel pump cycling?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mschreiner6
ok, checked the FPDM, it seems to be in good shape. no visible corrosion. Also, if this was bad would you still hear the fuel pump cycling?

Good question and I do not remember if fuel pump does or doesn't run( I can't remember its been so long ago that this happened to me). I got to thinking, you may want to go ahead and check that FPDM unit underneath(the side that is making contact with the frame) that you can't see unless you take the unit off. If and this is a BIG IF, I remember correctly, mine didnt' look bad just looking at it but once I took it off, it litterally fell apart in my hands. Also, don't take this wrong and I am not trying to insult your intelligence here, but if you haven't already done so, you may want to read through a couple of these threads, they may give you more details or symptoms you may or may not be having. Good luck, I know how frustrating issues like this can be and I am currently neck deep in an issue with mine right now that they can't seem to find and correct it.

https://www.f150forum.com/search.php?searchid=7826364

Last edited by BUCKSHOT; 08-30-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Remove ICM(TFI) & have bench checked at pretty much any auto parts store. Symptoms nearly identical to PIP sensor(Stator) fail.

The PIP sensor being an internal part of the distributor can be ruled out as you already replaced the distributor.

Symptoms can begin as miss & stumble. Then the engine dies & will not restart until the module cools off. This cool off time needed to restart becomes longer & longer until the part fails completely & engine will not restart.

These two parts (PIP & ICM) are interactive components, therefore tend to share function lifespans.

Last edited by ymeski56; 08-31-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default stalling, etc.

You might have a qualified mechanic check you catalytic converters. I've been there and they can cause all sorts of weird problems that mechanics can't solve, and without any codes being shown.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM

OK, there is no FDPM, I don't know what I was looking at before. Apparently the 1996 and earlier had the FDPM/fuel pump assembly as one unit. I have removed the bed and I am replacing both pumps. On the rear just the pump since the sending unit worked fine. The front I am replacing entire unit since the sending unit did not work. Problem is, I got the return fuel line for the rear tank off with the tool, but the inside "clip" came out with it. Now I can not get the line to lock in place. Can that be cut off replaced? I had to use a replacement fitting on the fuel filter, but not sure about on the tank? Sorry for the long explanation.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM

Ok, back again. Front fuel pump was not bad, just empty. Thought it was full, because it would not take fuel at the pump. Rear pump was replaced and is working. So the issue now is getting fuel into the front tank. Since I have the bed off I went a head and ordered the fuel tank vents. Not sure how to test the ones in the tanks, so just decided to replace them both. If this does not work not sure where to go. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: dying f150