General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duplicolor and Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Duplicolor and Clear Coat

Hey guys, I'm posting here because the body work section gets little love. I've been on the forum and the best thing about it is there isn't a project that someone hasn't tried. So with that said, I'm doing a basic rust repair of my wheel wells. I currently have everything filled with bondo after grinding it down. I found the duplicolor that matches my truck based on the color code. Here's my question.

I have seen people use the paint and not clear coat (obviously after priming), and I've seen people say you NEED to clear coat. It started a massive debate between my friends saying that the clear is already in the paint. I defer to the masses on the forum so I can get better answers with reasoning. I bought PTM flares to cover the majority of the work I've done. But I definitely want to paint so it doesn't look like absolute crap under the flares.

Thanks for your opinions, guys. If you need me to I can attach pictures to the post later.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi if you use duplicolor in can its a lacquer base you will get clear inside do a test on a cartboard if you don't like the look get clear coat make shure you use the right clear or you will have reaction ,good luck
Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bevel-man
Hi if you use duplicolor in can its a lacquer base you will get clear inside do a test on a cartboard if you don't like the look get clear coat make shure you use the right clear or you will have reaction ,good luck
Thanks, man! I appreciate it! I am planning on using rattle cans.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:08 PM

To piggy back. What's the best primer at a decent price? I've heard good things about the rustoleum sandable primer
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The one thing about these trucks especially FX4 / FX2 or anyone that has ptm bumpers and surround is scratches and dings are going to happen at some point. I've allready hit several spots on my front bumper from heavy road rash, I filled in the spots, wet sanded and rattled can sprayed with great success. About two weeks ago on my own stupidity I put two a couple deep gouges on my front hood and surround...garage door!! No body damage other than the paint. Since I haven't had a insurance claim in nearly 12+ years I decided to let the insurance fix it....$570 for the repair for only a few deep scratches that were well into the paint.

At some point I'm going to have to invest some time into becoming at paint and body guy just to maintain my ride.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Yeah. The damn wheel well rust killed me. It was originally "fixed" by a body shop, but.... that didn't last long. Their bondo bubbled and I ended having rust beneath it. They failed to put POR15 on like I had requested. So I did that myself.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Best paint for wheel is powder coating a bit pricey but it will last ,My son did is wheel on his M235I Beemer and the look is gorgeous.

Quick Reply: Duplicolor and Clear Coat