Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Driving for Uber Worth Anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Driving for Uber Worth Anything?

I'm sure this is a stupid idea but I'm looking to earn a little extra cash after work for an upcoming vacation. Have an 2011 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0 V8. Average about 15 MPG in the suburbs around me.
Was wondering if anyone has drove for Uber in their truck before... if they were able to make *any* profit?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I had an employee look into it: 2012 F150 SCREW 5.0.
He did not do it long. If I recall correctly he only made 1.25-1.50/mile and you are priced as an UberX not XL (Seat less than 6 passengers).

Depending on your location you may do better/worse. He mentioned the only way he'd make money was in tips... But it wasn't worth it to him.

Edit: However if you found the right passenger (rider) that maybe had a similar route to/from/close to your work & home... I cant imagine it would be too bad as you are already doing the majority of the driving. But not sure, exactly, how the whole Uber thing works.

Hell, I think it is free to sign up.. see what they offer and if you will make anything.

Last edited by ABN Panzer; 02-01-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It does become a business vehicle for the miles you use it for Uber. Thus your pro-rated costs (probably rated on Uber vs total miles) are deductible.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

Doesn't Uber pay like $20 an hour? With the wear and tear that will be done to your vehicle. IMO it isnt worth it.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:13 PM
I'd rather be sailing.

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Hmm,
I prefer to not take a lot of folks in my PU. It is a 2013 and still very nice. I read a news story or two and it just scares me to have strangers in it. I am sure 99.99% of folks are great but I'd likely get all the others!

heh heh!
If you do it, please update here so we can all learn!

Scott
Old 02-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Yeah I've heard of drivers picking up drunk people and they throw up in their car.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I figure with wear and tear it's definitely not worth it long term. Would likely just do a few hours here and there over a month. Haven't been able to find any reports from people who've actually done it, which isn't a good sign, heh.

If someone pukes, and you get a pic, Uber charges them $100-150 cleaning fee (usually 150, which you get all of). Tbh if you don't mind cleaning up vomit that's probably the fastest way to make money .
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

I think in some cities they limit the type of vehicle you use, my guess is major cities, but for the most part, as long as it's 4 doors (assume they mean full doors and not suicide) then you can drive.

One thing that stopped me was insurance. Uber now covers you while you're "on the clock" - without a passenger, but waiting for a call. If you get into an accident after clocking off and heading home, your insurance will most likely drop you if they know what you've been doing.

Once you start driving, they provide you with a sort of insurance policy number, so as long as you were at the point where Uber covers you (waiting for a call or with a passenger) then you'd give the Police that number. I've read where folks didn't know this and gave out their personal insurance policy.

As for cleaning fees, if you don't have a receipt, chances are good you won't get reimbursed the full $150. The reimbursement from what I remember is if you have to go get it professionally cleaned.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Team, just signed on. First post here. I signed up for Uber and passed all of their "requirements" but never actually went out there and did it. People do make money but after gas and operating costs, its not much.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

My uncle seems to like doing the Uber thing. He's got a car so his costs are less but he typically hangs out for a few minutes after his shift at work ends seeing if he can get a call. He works around downtown Cincinnati so he typically does find something. But if he doesn't he just heads home like normal.