General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window slow to come up

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Window slow to come up

I have a 2009 Platinum and my driver side door power window is acting up. It will easily come down as normal but when I push the button to have it raise it will only come a little bit. After a few more minutes it will raise a little more, then few more minutes later it will again raise some more. Eventually after maybe 30 minutes or so it will finally raise all the way up. It seems to be getting worse and slower at raising. I am afraid it will eventually not raise at all. All the other windows are fine from the driver door. Not sure where the problem is, maybe the switch, regulator, motor, etc. Any help with this is much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did this on my 2008, helped a good bit.

First part of video is loud so have your speakers down. I don't know if this is a permenant fix but it definitely worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
Jimmyw (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Yep... lube up those channels so the glass can slide easily.

If that doesn't work, your motor is getting weak.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info. My 99 F150 is doing the same thing on the drivers side. Just started in the last couple of months. Gonna try this tonight.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM

Thanks for reply, but that did not fix it. The window will only move a centimeter or two at a time. Then I have to wait several minutes and do move it a few centimeters again. I do this over and over for an hour before it goes all the way up. I cannot even move it by pulling as I hit the button. If it were the tracks I would think I could move it by pulling as I raised the button. If it were the motor wouldn't that affect the down as well as up? Idk. Thanks again for you advise.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

In "UP" mode, isn't there a safety switch to stop the window if there is an obstruction in the way? That switch might be faulty, and would not come into play in "Down" mode.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/anti-p...-safety-98932/
Jimmyw (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by All Hat No Cattle
In "UP" mode, isn't there a safety switch to stop the window if there is an obstruction in the way? That switch might be faulty, and would not come into play in "Down" mode.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/anti-p...-safety-98932/
It sounds to me like the OP is hitting the Auto-up. If it were stopping due to obstruction detection then the window wouldn't resume going up 30 min later. Good thought though, it occurred to me as well.

I'm inclined to think the motor is wearing out. Gravity assists on the way down so no trouble there but the motor can't cope with pushing the glass up. How does the motor sound OP?
Jimmyw (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Motor sounds normal, you can hear it activate when button is pushed. It sounds more and more to me like it is the motor. How hard is it to replace this? Can it be a DIY project?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyw
Motor sounds normal, you can hear it activate when button is pushed. It sounds more and more to me like it is the motor. How hard is it to replace this? Can it be a DIY project?
There are videos on YouTube of it. Have you taken a door panel off before? You could take the door panel off and check it out. Should just unplug/unbolt and replace with new. I've never done one but I'm sure a couple hours and you'd have it done.
Jimmyw (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM

Ok, I took the door off. It is not as simple as unplug and unbolt. I see the motor but it is behind door metal frame. There is one bolt but motor is very difficult to get to. I cannot find a good video to help on a 2009. I found some older videos but they do not help with my situation or truck model. Any more advice before I bite the bullet and pay ford mechanic a ton of money?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Driver Window slow to come up