General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help

So I installed a pioneer double din touchscreen radio in my 02 f150 lariat today and it just doesn't sit right in there. I did cut the factory radio mount and the plastic behind it. It seems to sit recessed too far. I have looked at other forums and have seen different metra mounts and want to know which one to use and to make sure it will fit more sung and not so recessed. I will post some pictures and show you what I mean. But please help with suggestions. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 PM

This is the gap I was talking about
Attached Thumbnails Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help-image-2503222007.jpg   Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help-image-1309037818.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother had a doubler din pioneer in his 02 f150. Sorry its a bad pic but he's not here right now but when hew gets here I'll take better pics. But we didn't use the bracket that came with it.

Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help-forumrunner_20120123_221536.jpg
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM

If you go to crutchfield.com they have an app that you put the make and model of the vehicle and the radio. They can sell you the right adapter and a harness so you dont butcher your wiring.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have only installed one double-din radio in my lifetime and it was a few years ago for a friend so I've forgotten a little. Do double din's come with the metal sleeve that the radio slides into? If so you have probably mounted the sleeve improperly into the dash kit.

I actually do this by design when I install a single-din radio in my own truck - I like the recessed look.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
I have only installed one double-din radio in my lifetime and it was a few years ago for a friend so I've forgotten a little. Do double din's come with the metal sleeve that the radio slides into? If so you have probably mounted the sleeve improperly into the dash kit.

I actually do this by design when I install a single-din radio in my own truck - I like the recessed look.
They do come with the sleeve (mine did anyways).... To the OP u prolly done what I did and cut up the mount so that u can fit the sleeve in when actually u don't use the sleeve u actully mount the radio to the mounting bracket with the 4 screws that came with the radio sleeve. I figured this out later when I knew mine wasn't right, so I went and bought another mount kit and slide the radio into the kit without the sleeve then screwed it to the kit with the screws, then mount the kit to the truck. Sorry if it doesn't make much sence but just try without the sleeve when u get a new mounting kit.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM

I also don't mind the recessed look but I don't like the gap above my heating controls it just looks unfinished to me. I used the factory ford radio harness and one of the metra kits to hold it in place. I did not use the metal sleeve as it did not come with one.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry bro I don't know what to tell u then. I thought u might have done what I did. Call the place who makes the kit and tell them about it and send them pics if they want, maybe they will send u another to try?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

I also don't mind the recessed look but I don't like the gap above my heating controls it just looks unfinished to me. I used the factory ford radio harness and one of the metra kits to hold it in place. I did not use the metal sleeve as it did not come with one.

Quick Reply: Double din radio install 2002 f150 lariat. Help