Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the rotors have to be resurfaced when changing the brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Detroit Three guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the rotors have to be resurfaced when changing the brake pads?

The brake pads on my 2001 F150 needs to be replaced.
The dealer says that the rotors have to be resurfaced when changing the brake pads. It does not look like there is any wear on the rotors.

I am thinking of doing the brake job myself, if I don't have to pull the rotors.
Does the rotors have to be resurfaced when changing the brake pads?

I have heard that there is asbestos in the pads. Are there any precautions that I need to take while handling them?

Thanks
Raj
The following users liked this post:
Darryl (02-24-2013)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

yes you have to resurface your brake rotors when replacing just the pads otherwise the new pads will wear out fast. also asbestos has been banned in brakes for years.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The dealership may take a little off the top of the rotors when turning them. Never hurts to get a 2nd opinion from a trusted repair shop. Turning the rotors is not absolutely required but will help in the life of the pads.

I think asbestos was banned since the late 80s or early 90s in the US. Though some countries still use it like China of course...hehe.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM

I just replaced all 4 of my rotors with Wearever from advanced auto. Added some Wagner TQs and my truck stops great. IMO, turning rotors is a waste of time.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In my opinion, unless there is obvious wear/damage to the rotors, you do not need to have them turned. If you run your finger across the surface and it feels smooth, don't get them turned. If it feels like there are ridges and grooves, then get them turned.

Last edited by dewman; 05-11-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is one of those "it depends" questions. It depends completely on the condition of your rotors. I put new pads on @ 60k mi., did not turn the rotors and have no problems. If yours are warped cracked or grooved excessively, then have them turned or replaced.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the wear of the rotor, but the life of the pad will be less. Sometimes its cheaper to replace the rotor than having it resurfaced.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Detroit Three guy

Originally Posted by dewman
In my opinion, unless there is obvious wear/damage to the rotors, you do not need to have them turned. If you run your finger across the surface and it feels smooth, don't get them turned. If it feels like there are ridges and grooves, then get them turned.
Thanks for the input guys.
The rotors are smooth. They were replaced at 60k because they got damaged from running the pads beyond the wear limits.

The truck has 100k miles on it and it's been retired from being a daily driver to a once a month driver. I barely put 1000 miles every year on it now.

I guess I am going to change just the pads. At the rate that I drive it, I am ok with having to change the pads early, which would still be at least 10 years out

Quick Reply: Does the rotors have to be resurfaced when changing the brake pads?