Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need 4wd in SoCal?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need 4wd in SoCal?

Currently looking at 2011-2012 F-150 as my first truck. I live in San Diego and am looking for a truck that will mostly be for yard work, transporting my kayak to the bay and some camping. It seems like everyone online says that 4x4 is something you don't use often but when you need it you're glad you have it.

I honestly think I won't need it just because I don't plan on going offroading, don't ever have to deal with any weather or hauling at all, only thing I can think I'll need it for is going camping once a year, mostly to places like Yosemite and up the California coast, so no snow at all. I'm trying to keep my budget around $20,000 and 4x4 raises the prices another $2-$3k. Would a 4x2 with some A/T tires be enough for my needs or will I regret it?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default No you don't, save the money!

No
Originally Posted by JaviJ01
Currently looking at 2011-2012 F-150 as my first truck. I live in San Diego and am looking for a truck that will mostly be for yard work, transporting my kayak to the bay and some camping. It seems like everyone online says that 4x4 is something you don't use often but when you need it you're glad you have it.

I honestly think I won't need it just because I don't plan on going offroading, don't ever have to deal with any weather or hauling at all, only thing I can think I'll need it for is going camping once a year, mostly to places like Yosemite and up the California coast, so no snow at all. I'm trying to keep my budget around $20,000 and 4x4 raises the prices another $2-$3k. Would a 4x2 with some A/T tires be enough for my needs or will I regret it?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need 4x4 for San Diego, CA. I've been here for about 3 years now and I've never needed it. My '07 is only RWD. There are some people that unload/load their jet skis from the shore instead of using the ramps along the Mission Bay area but really, if you are not going on the sand, you don't need 4x4. Save that cash and put it for better use.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say go with 2 wheel. My first 2 trucks were 2x and I went everywhere in those . Tons of offroad: mud snow etc. 4x is more expensive and it's also one more thing to have problems with.
And yes . A 2 x with some good a/t m/t tires with a limited slip or locking rear diff, will go a lot of places in mud and snow. Driving skill can also play a large role in this.
I'd say if you don't think you'll need it don't bother. It's only worth it if you use it regularly, or don't mind the extra pita and money that come with it.
Enjoy your first truck! I was looking around for a newer f1 . 20k seemed to be a good enough budget.
Make sure you look into the known issues with these trucks and inspect or have a mechanic check it out thoroughly . The engine tick/knock is one of em. Cheers
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

4WD will help with re-sale no matter if you use it or not...
Old 10-13-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

4wd may help with resale value in gross terms, but when you add in the additional cost of purchase, loss of gas mileage, and increased maintenance and repair costs, it's a net loss, unless you're in an area where 4x4 is a necessity.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Like everyone else said, you don't need it. I feel like you kind of answered your own question when you listed what you plan on doing with it as none of those activities typically require it unless you are doing some extreme camping.

2WD trucks sell all day in San Diego area so you won't have any issues reselling it.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4wd isn't necessary, but I would get the locking rear axle if you can find it.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

I lived in SD/Coronado for almost 4 years - I drove a 61 Ford Falcon with a combo snoboard/surf rack. Drove up to Big Bear for boarding and 'surfed' in IB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need 4wd in SoCal?