General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Dealer prices

I have gotten a bit lazy over the last few years. My wife and I are doing well. Lately though, we have decided to start being a little more conservative with our money and make better decisions. So, I called the dealership to get a quote on side steps and install. Normally, I would have just gone and had them do it. Well, this time, I called a local, reputable truck shop to compared prices..

Dealership- $800-850 for steps and install
Truck shop for similar quality parts with install - $450

Oh my, I have been throwing away a LOT of money. I feel embarrassed and don't even want to think about how much money I have blown. So the truck shop installed the steps in about 40 mins. The Ford shop wanted to charged 2 or more hours labor for it.

What a wake up call.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I've never been a big DIYer but even garage prices can be a bit high for the job. Dealer prices are just rediculous. You want someone who will stand behind their work and have coverage it they mess something up but that does come with a price. I'm glad it worked out for you. That finished price for new product doesn't sound too bad. Maybe could have found used but good and saved another $100-$150 on product then just paid them labor.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do as much as I can myself. I needed to replace my rear power sliding glass because the defroster grid was broken. Local glass shops wanted around a thousand dollars. I did it myself with about 350 in parts, about a half a day of my own labor, and the help of a youtube video. When I got the quote from Glass Doctors I had to ask them if they thought they were real doctors.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by BillUSMCEOD
When I got the quote from Glass Doctors I had to ask them if they thought they were real doctors.
lol Good one.

I was tempted to install the step bars myself, but the cost of installing was pretty cheap, so I just went with it. I usually do my own exhaust installs, and I get in to some other random stuff too. Did all of the front end work on my Mustang as well.

It's been a rough week for us. Two sick kiddos and my wife broke her arm, so I havent had time to do much of anything lately, and the side steps needed to be installed ASAP because my wife and girls have a lot of trouble getting in and out

Regardless, I will be doing a lot more research from here on out on parts and installing myself
Old 03-06-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear yeah when it comes to the kids. I've got two little girls myself with one more on the way next month. I usually have to fit my truck and bike work in while they're napping or at night. Their naps aren't usually nearly long enough so i end up doing a lot of work in the driveway wearing a headlamp. Not sure what the neighbors think of that. I'm figuring out that between youtube and the forums it's possible to figure out how to do most things. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to figure out how much money youtube has cost dealers.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM

Youtube is amazing. Bill from CJ pony parts has a bunch of vids up for Mustang part installs and thats who I referenced for all my mustang installs.

Quick Reply: Dealer prices