General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dashlights shut off when i turn my headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dashlights shut off when i turn my headlights on

i just bought i 94 f-150 and my dashlights shut off when i turn my headlights on. any suggestions on what could be the problem?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Now don't think I'm an idiot, just offering an idea because it happens on my wife's car. Check that the dash light dimmer control hasn't been turned all the way down/off. Your dash lights will have the daytime lights on, but when you flip on your headlights, the dimmer switch will turn em off. Happens whenever she takes it to the car wash, the wipe down inevitably turns that switch all the way down. If that's not the case, sorry just offering an easy fix, especially if it's new and your not familiar with the controls yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ditto....turn the headlight switch and see if your dimmer was turned all the way down
Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 PM

got anything else on this? checked the dimmer, wasn't it. if i fiddle with the light piece when pulling to get the headlights on i can get the dash lights to stay on, but it seems like i have to get lucky. planning on diving into the dash a little bit . . .
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by chayden
Now don't think I'm an idiot, just offering an idea because it happens on my wife's car. Check that the dash light dimmer control hasn't been turned all the way down/off. Your dash lights will have the daytime lights on, but when you flip on your headlights, the dimmer switch will turn em off. Happens whenever she takes it to the car wash, the wipe down inevitably turns that switch all the way down. If that's not the case, sorry just offering an easy fix, especially if it's new and your not familiar with the controls yet.
!@#$#% I catch myself doing this at least once a year in the wife's convertible after I detail it! lol

Quick Reply: dashlights shut off when i turn my headlights on