General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system electrolysis

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system electrolysis

Damned If I'm stumped. I have .5 volts in my coolant. This is with the truck off and Ig. off. I have systematically removed fuses and checked voltage...same. I have grounded the block directly to the Neg terminal on the battery. Same, .5 volts. I have switched political affiliation to "independent" still, .5 volts. Would changing coolant drop voltage? Like a fine wine I do not think its getting better with age. Would that affect it? Where should I look now? Any help will certainly elevate the contributor to god-like status.

D
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

dissimilar metals within the heater core cause this issue. you can use a flow restrictor on the heater core tubing PN F1UZ-18D406-A, also http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/ele...s_pictures.htm that might help...ground the heater core and get a sacrificial anode cap.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 PM
wbstaz

Originally Posted by drdnny
Damned If I'm stumped. I have .5 volts in my coolant. This is with the truck off and Ig. off. I have systematically removed fuses and checked voltage...same. I have grounded the block directly to the Neg terminal on the battery. Same, .5 volts. I have switched political affiliation to "independent" still, .5 volts. Would changing coolant drop voltage? Like a fine wine I do not think its getting better with age. Would that affect it? Where should I look now? Any help will certainly elevate the contributor to god-like status.

D
Hi, Have you checked voltage with battery disconnected completely! If you disconnect battery and still have 0.5 volts the you have electrolytic corrosion taking place, or just plain old friction causing it! The electricity has nowhere to go the truck is totally insulated by the four(six) tires. To prove this run a cable from your cable to the ground and check again! Cars and trucks do build up very high voltages via friction, the times I have got a real crack of a shock touching the body after a long run with leather soled shoes on have been quite a few!!

Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

the electrolysis is NOT necessarily caused by the electrical system, its teh chemical interaction between the properties of the coolant, the metals the are in contact with and finally, the electrical system. the chemicals break down over time and produce all kinds of nasty crap.
http://www.ford-forums.com/86674-post15.html
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

you guys this is very informative but can I ask how you found out that you have 0.5 volts in your coolant in the first place?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
wbstaz

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
you guys this is very informative but can I ask how you found out that you have 0.5 volts in your coolant in the first place?
Good question!!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda had the same thought, what would persuade you to check for electrical activity in your coolant in the first place?

My suspiscion is that it is simply a galvanic response to dissimalar materials in the cooling system acting like a battery with the coolant being the electrolyte. As long as there is no noticable scaling, build up, or other wierdness going on in the radiator I wouldn't worry about it.

Now I wanna go out and put a meter into my radiator and see what I get!

Geez, thanx alot , like i dont have enuff to do already!

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got -0.02 volts!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM

look up heater hose system on youtube watch video on bypassing under intake pipe
he said that the alternator bolts on corrosion there cause the alternator to lose ground and engine tries to gound thru coolant system
electrolysis
Old 05-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Ding Ding Ding, 9 years and 8 month old 1 hit wonder started thread. I do believe we have this weeks wake up the dead winner.
The following 4 users liked this post by Siber Express:
06screwlariat (05-09-2019), 13XLTEco (05-10-2019), acdii (05-09-2019), RLXXI (05-09-2019)

Quick Reply: cooling system electrolysis