General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer "Tuning"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer "Tuning"

I drive a 1999 F150 XLT 4.6L. In an attempt to increase gas mileage/performance I recently installed a K&N cold air intake filter. So far I have noted a power/torque increase but too early yet to see if I get any better mileage. We have an auto performance shop in town & I spoke with the owner who performs these computer tune ups and claims it will increase performance & perhaps a 2-3 mpg increase in mileage. Combining this with the K&N filter, results could even be better. It would cost around $300-$350 for the tune-up. That amount still buys a lot of gas. So my question is has anyone had this type of computer tune-up and if so, did the results warrant the expense? Thanks for any feedback.

Dan
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you do a tune up on the truck yet?? That's where your money would be better spent.
Exhaust,intake, and programmers will do little if anything for your gas mileage.JMHO
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

First start off with this to learn a little more about the world of PCM programming.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...unes-read.html

You would be better off to get a programmer and custom tunes through a reputable tuner. Nothing against the local guy but unless he has a lot of experience tuning and a dyno I wouldn't look there first.
A custom tune to account for the intake will be best. The problem is that even with the intake and programmer mileage is NOT guaranteed to go up. Driving habits and maintenance are your best bets for decent mileage.
FYI an oiled filter like the K&N lets more dirt in and has the possibility of fouling the MAF.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Tune-Up

Originally Posted by skizriz
Did you do a tune up on the truck yet?? That's where your money would be better spent.
Exhaust,intake, and programmers will do little if anything for your gas mileage.JMHO
Thanks for your input. I haven't had a tune up done yet. I bought the truck used & previous owner changed plugs & wires at 85,000 miles. I'm up to 148,000 miles and the truck still runs good & highway mileage has remained around 16.5 mpg. I've spoken with several mechanics, etc., & the general opinion has been to leave it alone until I notice a drop in mileage and/or the engine starts to run rough. I've been told tune up can be difficult & pricey especially if any of the plugs have been cross threaded making removal very difficult. Also when installing new plugs great care has to be taken because of the aluminum threads in the engine block & that if not installed just right, the engine can throw a plug(s), which can end up with costly repairs. But I have read that there are steel-threaded inserts that can be installed prior to putting in new plugs? All seems rather confusing.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Computer Tune Up

Originally Posted by otto457
First start off with this to learn a little more about the world of PCM programming.

You would be better off to get a programmer and custom tunes through a reputable tuner. Nothing against the local guy but unless he has a lot of experience tuning and a dyno I wouldn't look there first.
A custom tune to account for the intake will be best. The problem is that even with the intake and programmer mileage is NOT guaranteed to go up. Driving habits and maintenance are your best bets for decent mileage.
FYI an oiled filter like the K&N lets more dirt in and has the possibility of fouling the MAF.
Many thanks for your input & info. Based on what I've been hearing, think I will pass on any computer programing & stick to the basic maintenance & standard tune ups. The previous owner had the truck tuned up at 85K miles & I now have 148K miles & have yet to do a tune up. General opinion with mechanics around here is to avoid doing a tune up until I notice a decline in gas mileage and/or the engine starts to run rough. Seems removing & installing plugs can be tricky do to potential cross threading of the plugs because of the aluminum threads in the engine block. Have also heard F150s, (at least the older models), have been prone to throwing plugs which can result in major repair bills. As of now, the truck continues to run well & mileage has remained consistent at around 16.5 mpg highway. Am a little distressed at your take on the K&N intake filter as I've already spent some $$$ buying & having it installed & it's been less than a month since it was put on.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

As long as you're careful the heads don't cross thread too easy. The blow out was a concern in the 97-03 V8's, but as long as you follow the new no anti seize 28 ft/lb torque specs for the sparkplugs you won't have any troubles.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

it depends on what software the "dude" is using. SCT's Pro Racer Package is the absolute platinum standard. The Tweecer RT is awesome...these programs used with a wideband o2 are on the money.

Hell, one of my friends tuned his car with a tweecer rt, turns low 13s, and has a setup more radical than anyone on this forum.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM

As long as you're careful the heads don't cross thread too easy. The blow out was a concern in the 97-03 V8's, but as long as you follow the new no anti seize 28 ft/lb torque specs for the sparkplugs you won't have any troubles.
Many thanks for that info...just what I needed.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
it depends on what software the "dude" is using. SCT's Pro Racer Package is the absolute platinum standard. The Tweecer RT is awesome...these programs used with a wideband o2 are on the money.

Hell, one of my friends tuned his car with a tweecer rt, turns low 13s, and has a setup more radical than anyone on this forum.

Great info...will find out what the "Dude" is using. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Computer "Tuning"