Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cb antenna VS. Garage door

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cb antenna VS. Garage door

My whips stick up about a foot past my garage dooe, and I am wondering if a spring will help me out?

Where my antennas are mounted, they are close to my lights, so if they swing around to much they will hit them, which I dont want to happen.

Is a medium spring to stiff to keep my whips from getting messed, and it is going to keep my lights from getting whacked?

Is it bad to have excess coax cable hanging around? I got a t cable, but there is about 9 feet on each side of it, lol.

anyone want to barrow me a SWR meter? LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Quick Release couplers on the antenna bases so you can remove them? This also cuts down on theft when shopping, etc.
Keep the cables neat, if they flop in the wind while driving, then the VSWR goes crazy and your transmission strength does too. I don't recommend springs unless they are stiff. They should only bend if you accidentally hit a tree branch thus preventing the antenna from breaking.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

He is right. IF the spring bends too much the thin wire inside it will break. Thats a pain to find when that happens. Cause all your connections will be good, but you will have nothing on the radio. I don't even run a spring on mine and have no problems. I had more problems when I did have a spring. If its only a foot taller than the door then it wont hurt it to drive it in. As for the lights they are on their own..lol I understand though that you don't want to bust them out.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Ty

well, just leaving them be is no good, on the way in, it sounded like WWIII when the antennas bounced off the front of the door, then the supports of the garage door, leaving a nice gash in the aluminum faced insulation all the way in the garage....

so that wont work, lol
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
ScrewDriver

There is a spring loaded 90* joint available for most CB antenna's. The only disadvantage is that you have to get up into the bed of the truck to release the spring load and lay it down.

If the antenna was mounted on the outer side portion of the bed you could reach it from the ground.

Last edited by ScrewDriver; 06-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Ty

its okay, I got it taken care of now.

I am just wondering if a peice of rubber tubeing sliped over the antenna will affect how it works, The springs work awesome, but the antennas still get banged up against stuff because of how high they are.

Quick Reply: Cb antenna VS. Garage door