Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB/Antenna Talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CB/Antenna Talk

What kind of rig are you running? How's it perform? Where do you have the antenna(s) mounted? Just trying to find out what everyone is running and what they like and don't like about it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Cobra 29 WX NW ST. Seen here: https://www.cobra.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=245

I upgraded from a cobra 14 ultra. Couldn't be happier!

As far as antennas go, i'm using a 102" steel whip from radio shack, mounted onto a mirror mount which is drilled through my toolbox. I ran ground wires from the frame to the mirror mount and ran a coax cable under the cab and through a rubber plug that covers a hole in the bottom of my cab.

I hope all of that made sense, if not I can take pictures!

-Ron
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM
zap

It did. I'm currently on a peaked and tuned Cobra 25 LTD with a K40 fiberglass 4' on a stainless Firestik stud/spring combo mounted on my headache rack. Beats the Cobra 19 Ultra III and Midland 1001z.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Well raise my rent!

I've got an older Uniden PC76XLW with the same 102" SS whip. I've got the radio mounted where the ash tray used to sit with a metal plate behind to redirect the heater vents to the driver and passenger sides and keep it away from the radio. The antenna (previously a 102" fiberglass whip mounted directly behind the cab in the corner of the bed) is in the rear driver side stake pocket with a mount I whipped up. I've got the coax cable running behind the tail light, along the frame and into the cab under the rear seat and directly above the trans tunnel, and I also have the mount grounded to the frame, which is also grounded to the cab and bed on both sides. Need to get it peaked/tuned but right now I'm more than happy. When conditions are right, I'm usually picking up skip from Arizona/New Mexico and north up to New Hampshire.

If anyone wants, I can grab pictures sometime
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM

Im running a barefoot cobra 29de and a wilson 2000 trucker that is mounted to my toolbox groundedto the frame. I have confirmed by talking to other truckers that I am getting out 50 miles. Not too bad for a barefoot cb.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 AM
zap

I usually pick up a guy in Slaton, TX (15 min out of Lubbock) just south of Walsenburg, CO who I usually talk to when I'm at school in Lubbock. I get about 20 miles out of mine but I haven't had the limiter cut yet (maybe the next time I pass through Lubbock with the truck I'll get it done). Anyone ever used an oil cooled antenna? Had one an loved it but the stress of being on a truck that sees more time off asphalt than it does on it got to it. Ran an Astatic 1K for a bit but still prefer the oil cooled. For the durability, the K40 4 footer fiberglass whip has held up though. Shot my lowest SWR's on a fiberglass whip with it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing you guys to think about is grounding!doesn't matter if it be CB or Amateur radio (Ham radio) grounding is everything for your radio's to work their best!you need to have the bed grounded to the frame in two spots with braided straps and the same for the cab as well as an extra strap from the engine to the frame! that way your radio and antenna of your choice be it stainless or whatever it will be able to be heard better and at a longer distance!

Quick Reply: CB/Antenna Talk