Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAT Backs - how long do they usuallylast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Question CAT Backs - how long do they usuallylast?

Hi all. I have a 2010 screw and I really want some low rumble from the exhaust. I'm favoring the Flowmaster 50 or 40 series in a SI\DO set up and was talking to our company's fleet mechanic a few days ago about options. He said he did but did not recommend them because they rust out after about 2 or so years, especially where they are welded.

There is muffler shop in town that will build and install a cat back system and provide a 1 year warranty, and he's talking around $230-$250 so I know these aren't on par with a set of $600 stainless pipes, but is our fleet mechanic right? Can I expect no more than 2 or maybe 3 years out of them?

I don't drive my truck much, maybe 600 miles a month unless I take a trip somewhere. I'm also in the upper part of Louisiana so there's no road salt to deal with and not as much humidity as cities closer to the gulf like Houston or New Orleans.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main thing that causes rust is the moisture that builds up in the pipes from sitting. All you need to do is crank your truck up until the pipes get hot and burns out the moisture and they should last quite a while.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

a good quality SS catback system will last as long or longer than your stock system. even a good aluminized kit can last for many years. ive had my custom built fully welded catback system on my ranger for 7 years now and its still in great shape.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks. The muffler shop uses aluminized pipes so if I read these replies correctly I should easily expect more than 2-3 years as the mechanic stated. I think I could live with that.

Quick Reply: CAT Backs - how long do they usuallylast?