General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camper Shells & Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Camper Shells & Dogs

Thinkin' about possibly gettin' a camper shell for my truck. Are they safe for dogs to ride in for long trips in the winter and summer? One of the main reasons I'm thinkin' about gettin' one is so we can take the dogs with us on trips such as from SC to NJ or SC to IN. In the winter, it can be pretty cold. And in the summer, it can be pretty hot. I know the looks of a shell are subjective, but luckily I like the look both ways (especially if I know there's a purpose for the shell).
Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Shouldn't be any issues if you drive in a sane manner.

I spent a good chunk of my childhood riding around in the back of a truck and escaped with no issues.

Use a little common sense and the pups should be fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Proud Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and fyi keep an window or something open for your dogs, because if you dont they will throw up, and it aint a pretty clean up trust me, i have had that happen a few times driving my dogs around and it stinks also
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 AM

So the hot summer and cold winter weather shouldn't be a problem for them back there?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

i would throw something down in the bed that they can grip to so they're not sliding around and make sure you got that cap door locked so they cant open it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 AM

maybe get a cargo bar or something so that they're limited to one area, as far as the weather, what kinda of dogs are they? in the winter i'd just give them something warm and soft to lay on, in the summer just keep a window open and give em some water every now and then
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pity7700
i would throw something down in the bed that they can grip to so they're not sliding around and make sure you got that cap door locked so they cant open it.
I was thinkin' about gettin' a Bedrug, so it would be softer on their feet and things wouldn't slide around. I imagine a Bedrug wouldn't be as hot on their feet either. And since it has a lifetime warranty and can be hosed out, I wouldn't lose any utility with it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mustangwarrior
maybe get a cargo bar or something so that they're limited to one area, as far as the weather, what kinda of dogs are they? in the winter i'd just give them something warm and soft to lay on, in the summer just keep a window open and give em some water every now and then
That's a good idea about the cargo bar.

They're bulldogs. We usually have to carry them on trips in their kennels in the wife's Explorer and put our luggage in the second row. The kennels take up the entire back of the Explorer. We're expectin' our first kid in a few months, so that means we'll have even more to haul on trips. When we take the dogs now, we give them water and let them stretch their legs at every gas stop. We'd do the same if they were in my truck.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will be fine. Just make sure all cargo is strapped down, so as not to bludgeon the dogs to death. They will be fine in the winter, but make sure you open some windows and give water in the summer.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by _Flea_
That's a good idea about the cargo bar.

They're bulldogs. We usually have to carry them on trips in their kennels in the wife's Explorer and put our luggage in the second row. The kennels take up the entire back of the Explorer. We're expectin' our first kid in a few months, so that means we'll have even more to haul on trips. When we take the dogs now, we give them water and let them stretch their legs at every gas stop. We'd do the same if they were in my truck.
ok, they will probly be fine, i second the bedrug, have one in my truck, i've hauled my quad on it and several loads of firewood, only bad thing if it gets wet, for example, i've been caught in the rain with it and then i put the tonneau cover back on with out it drying it gets a bad mildew smell, so if you spray it out with the cap on, just make sure leave the tailgate and window open and let it dry out

also do you have a sliding rear window? if so keep them towards the front so u can kinda interact with them

Quick Reply: Camper Shells & Dogs