Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying tires/whees in USA and coming back across the border

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying tires/whees in USA and coming back across the border

Hey,

I have a question about buying new tires/wheels in the USA and then bringing them back across the border.

I live in Canada and I am thinking about ordering 22" tires/wheels from tirerack.com because they have some really good deals right now... and with the Canadian dollar being almost at par with the US dollar... I want to cross the border, get the tires, and then get them mounted at a shop near the border while I'm there. My current tires/rims aren't worth keeping, so I was thinking of just letting the tire shop keep them. If I came back across the border and didn't declare the new tires/rims would the border patrol even notice?
Does anyone know if they take a full 360 degree photo of your vehicle as it crosses the border and then refer to this photo when you come back across the border?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im intrested in this also, great question
Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roush, you driving to Canada soon??? LMAO

Other than breaking the law (more than likely you have a similar standard that America has for customs on import/export) I would think that you will be fine... Imagine if they had to visually inspect/compare every vehicle that crossed the border every day... Relax, save some $$$ and screw the the tax man!!!! Dirty up them rims and tires a little so they are not so shiny and ask the guy at the tire store if you can get a break on the taxes, long shot but maybe worth a try... This is by no means telling you how to break the laws of your sovereign country....
Old 03-22-2010, 06:11 PM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol no just curious as to if it would be possible. it just seems like a cool question
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Cool question from a cool guy .

Think I'll be planning a trip down south to buy some new tires/wheels in the very near future!! Thanks for the feedback so far.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:57 PM

i doubt they would notice, i think they only take pictures of licence plates, and going one way you only talk to US customs, and coming back to canada, you only talk to canada customs.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea there is no way they would notice..go save yourself some money
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM

If they would happen to say something, just tell them you got four flats and had to get back on the road somehow.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM

If the Canadian dollar and US dollar are at par just order them offline. You wont be saving or gaining anythign if they are equal. BTW discounttire direct is usually free shipping and they will mount and balance the rims and tires if you order them direct.

To answer your question. The border will have no clue if you bought them over there or not nor will they care considering you paid taxes on them when you bought them. So no need to worry about anything.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Odds are that you will not get caught. I live across the river from Detroit and make frequent US purchases. I declare everything. Most of the time I get waived through.

Quick Reply: Buying tires/whees in USA and coming back across the border