General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Front Shock Lower Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Front Shock Lower Bolts

Well I just went through Hell to replace my damn front shocks. I thought I was in for a quick job, but it turned into several hours after I broke the bottom mounting bolts that hold the shock to the lower control arm. Thought I would just post what I did, because I couldn't find many specifics on this problem. Sorry No Pics.

If you break the bottom mounting bolts, here's a relatively easy fix.
1. Jack truck up as high as possible and support with Jack stands or just use a lift.
2. Cut off as much of the remaining bolt as possible. The top of the bolt I believe is either welded or attached with loc-tite to the lower control arm, inside the spring.
3. Get cobalt drill bits, I used a 1/4inch to start the hole, then used a 5/8 to drill out the old bolt, drill right through the top of the bolt if you need to. The bits are pricey, but eat through the metal like nothing.
4. Replace old bolt with 5/8 diameter x 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch length grade 8 bolts and lock nut. You will need to hold the top of the bolt with something like needle nose vice grips to prevent it from spinning while you torque the nut (18 to 25 ft-lbs).

Thats it! Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited by mikhailbasho; 02-12-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: mistyping
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

That bolt holds as much as 400+ft-lbs of torque, depending on what truck you have.
How did you break it?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck has 205k miles on it in upstate ny. The shocks were NEVER CHANGED!!! (I bought it used) 17 years of snow and salt and corrosion just did a number on it. Pretty impressive they even made it this far.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, I can see how that thing wasn't gonna come out in one piece.

Quick Reply: Broken Front Shock Lower Bolts