General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxed subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Boxed subwoofer

Is it better to buy a preloaded sub or to built the box?

this guy says it is better to buy the manufactured box.. is he just a sales man or is it true?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly what he says. The box makes the sub sound good or bad
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Who is John Gault ?

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sub-Boxes

Pre-manufactured Boxes built buy the Speaker/driver manufacturer are built to match the the specs of the speaker . They can sound pretty good .

However depending on where the box is installed , they might not fit the space correctly . You can build a decent sub box to fit exactly where it is needed . Bracing , Porting , Cubic Footage . It can be a little daunting . but in the end your building a box .

There are a ton of resources on the web to help you out . I have built many Custom boxes when I was in the Industry , they are not hard to make , very tunable and can be very beautiful works of art to accent your ride .

On the other hand , a pre-made box and BAM your done .

Here's a link to Subwoofer Calculator page .

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Hope this helps .
The following users liked this post:
ComQuest (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Unique & Different

Received 426 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by katsdad
Pre-manufactured Boxes built buy the Speaker/driver manufacturer are built to match the the specs of the speaker . They can sound pretty good .

However depending on where the box is installed , they might not fit the space correctly . You can build a decent sub box to fit exactly where it is needed . Bracing , Porting , Cubic Footage . It can be a little daunting . but in the end your building a box .

There are a ton of resources on the web to help you out . I have built many Custom boxes when I was in the Industry , they are not hard to make , very tunable and can be very beautiful works of art to accent your ride .

On the other hand , a pre-made box and BAM your done .

Here's a link to Subwoofer Calculator page .

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Hope this helps .
[MENTION=146341]katsdad[/MENTION] that is what I want under my back seat. Do you have any? What is good for under the back seat of the truck? I have 2 kids so I'm still kinda undecided if I want the storage box or speakers under my back seat. Plus I fold the seats up a lot, so not sure if either one would work. How much speaker can be installed in the rear doors?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So, everything below 40hz is useless.....Good to know. Years ago I had 4 Soundstream ss-12's tuned to 26hz in my truck. Must have been my imagination....
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Who is John Gault ?

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Boxed In ...

Originally Posted by ComQuest
@katsdad that is what I want under my back seat. Do you have any? What is good for under the back seat of the truck? I have 2 kids so I'm still kinda undecided if I want the storage box or speakers under my back seat. Plus I fold the seats up a lot, so not sure if either one would work. How much speaker can be installed in the rear doors?
CQ , No I wouldn't have any , I've been out of the business for a long time now . But I still enjoy building systems in my rides . A short answer might be ; a single 10 in a smaller box and a modest amp might give you what you need and leave half the area under your back seat for storage .

If I could make some recommendations ; figure out what you like to listen to most and how loud you like to listen to it . Sound Quality is a given considering your profile .

Find some local car shows/meetups , check out what others have done . Maybe there is a local shop or two that could let you check out some of their installs . I know the shops I worked at were always proud to show off , err.. "Demo" their installs . Take your time , keep going back . The music is always there .

A decent head unit , amplifier and good set of component speakers all the way around combined with a single 10" Subwoofer will rock your truck and leave you some room under the seats. However , there are tons of different combinations that will work . Equalizers , active and passive crossovers , 8's , 10's , 12's , shallow eights , dynamat , 1-2-3-4-5 channel amps . I could tell you what I'd do , but I'm not you . Do the leg work and don't be pressured into buying when you're not ready . You'll have a much better system and a bigger smile at the end of the day .
ComQuest (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Unique & Different

Received 426 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by katsdad
CQ , No I wouldn't have any , I've been out of the business for a long time now . But I still enjoy building systems in my rides . A short answer might be ; a single 10 in a smaller box and a modest amp might give you what you need and leave half the area under your back seat for storage .

If I could make some recommendations ; figure out what you like to listen to most and how loud you like to listen to it . Sound Quality is a given considering your profile .

Find some local car shows/meetups , check out what others have done . Maybe there is a local shop or two that could let you check out some of their installs . I know the shops I worked at were always proud to show off , err.. "Demo" their installs . Take your time , keep going back . The music is always there .

A decent head unit , amplifier and good set of component speakers all the way around combined with a single 10" Subwoofer will rock your truck and leave you some room under the seats. However , there are tons of different combinations that will work . Equalizers , active and passive crossovers , 8's , 10's , 12's , shallow eights , dynamat , 1-2-3-4-5 channel amps . I could tell you what I'd do , but I'm not you . Do the leg work and don't be pressured into buying when you're not ready . You'll have a much better system and a bigger smile at the end of the day .
[MENTION=146341]katsdad[/MENTION] Awesome and Thanks a bunch for that info. It is greatly appreciated. I love music like I love my truck. And I absolutely enjoy it. So yes, something that really brings out the different tones and sounds would be awesome. Something that when the bass hits, it feels like a heart beat. I drive a lot so I can really get into my music. I have my own sound mixer and set up at home.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

If Kicker makes a combo kit then there is NO box that you can have made that will sound better than a Kicker design.. I've heard kicker boxes with dual 12's... Those things really go to work....
ComQuest (07-06-2013)

Quick Reply: Boxed subwoofer