Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to increase fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to increase fuel mileage

Its been a while since i have posted on this site or visited. Been busy working to afford gas prices.

I have a 96' F150 5.0 EFI V8. The torque converter on the tranny seems like it is not shifting right, so i am guessing that i am losing a little fuel mileage there, as the engine shifts at higher rpm's.

If I finally decide not to get a small car for fuel mileage purposes, what would be all of the modifications (safe ones at that) that i could do to increase my fuel mileage?

I currently have a Vortex exhaust system in there. I plan on putting a K&N CAI later. My engine has about 163000 miles on it. I run 89 octane fuel.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Suggest to see if the truck will run acceptably on 87 octane - save a few bucks on the price difference at any rate.

Haven't heard of any magic add-ons that are worth their initial costs. I choose to stick with the simpler things - engine in good tune (with no 'check-engine' light), tire pressure checked regularly, driving a little slower, easing away from and up to any stops, etc.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have herd good things about the Fitch fuel catalyst, There is a guy on www.dakota-durango.com who just put one on, and they are testing it on trucks (powerblock), and the results will be shown this week (some of you might already know, I didn't watch it this morning, but I'm going to try to catch it tomorrow).

It sounds good on paper, but I want to see some real world results before I go buy one.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

i am guessing around 3 months ago the fitch was on a show on speed channel here. It did increase fuel mileage but not sure how long it would take to recoup the cost or the unit.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get 16.9 mpg on my 07 S Crew with 5.4. It tells me this on the dash. I accelerate like there is an egg under the gas pedal. I anticipate lights turning red and coast up to them. Everyday I see idiots hauling @$$ to the lights and hittin' the brakes hard. I keep my tires inflated 4-5 lbs over the recommended inflation. Keep it tuned and keep it at 65-70 mph on the E-way. I guess people driving 80 or more have more money than they know what to do with. But my simple steps work very well.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM

Keeping your bed covered will help aerodynamics and mpg's also.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wfin2004
I get 16.9 mpg on my 07 S Crew with 5.4. It tells me this on the dash. I accelerate like there is an egg under the gas pedal. I anticipate lights turning red and coast up to them. Everyday I see idiots hauling @$$ to the lights and hittin' the brakes hard. I keep my tires inflated 4-5 lbs over the recommended inflation. Keep it tuned and keep it at 65-70 mph on the E-way. I guess people driving 80 or more have more money than they know what to do with. But my simple steps work very well.
you are probably getting better mileage than what the message center is telling you. I have a ScanGauge II that computes in real time, with my mods, I get almost 16mpg in town. Got 20.2mpg over thanksgiving by sticking it on cruise at 74mph.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
you are probably getting better mileage than what the message center is telling you. I have a ScanGauge II that computes in real time, with my mods, I get almost 16mpg in town. Got 20.2mpg over thanksgiving by sticking it on cruise at 74mph.
I'd have to agree with you. On the older versions of the F-150, for example a 90 F-150, 4x4 with a 302. Cruise would suck the tank dry. It actually costed more using it, but it was just a comfort thing on long drives.

On my new one I have now, I find it quite the oppsite. Even in towing conditions on the interstates. By no means do I have a heavy foot. When I was 17 I had to put gas in my dads truck out of my own pocket. At that age in school and no employment you learn real fast how to buget your fuel mileage.

Long story short... try using cruise on freeways around town and long drives. Another tip I find makes alot of sense and I can't really tell you if it makes any large differance or not but when your stopped at a light... throw it in neutral and hold the brake. Many people that have auto's just simply hold the brake in drive... next time your at a light take notice how your engine labours when holding the brake in gear...

Sounds funny but if your leaving to go someplace. Start your truck and let it run for 2 or 3 minutes to allow your block to warm up.

Quick Reply: Best way to increase fuel mileage